Bryan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing in Oil Pastels

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Bryan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing in Oil Pastels

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah🙂I’m relatively happy with it. I see a bunch that could be improved, especially with the box she is sitting on, but I’d rather just start on a new painting. It’s been a very rough week for me, so I’m lacking a bit of concentration and creativity at the moment.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 55. Today was a day for experiments. I attempted to draw from life instead of a photograph using my wife as a model. I also mixed up my palette colors. It was difficult mixing and finding the right color combos. I went too dark in the shadows. Here is my work in progress. It’s not going too well so far, but I was completely thrown out of my comport zone. I have a new respect for painters that are able to paint from live models. Something for me to work on. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Go easy on yourself – you’ve been so consistent with this challenge and produced so much work. That’s really important to acknowledge. Sorry it’s been rough. How lovely that you’re painting your wife! It’s challenging to paint from life for sure, but you’re doing well. Keep going 🙂!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 56. A few more hours of work trying to salvage this one and get it going in the right direction. Still doesn’t look much like my wife, but I still might be able to fix it tomorrow. 

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

you’re doing well mate and putting in plenty of work. keep it up 😀

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Lucas 🙂 I see you are working hard as well.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 57. Worked a few more hours and decided to scrap this one and start over tomorrow. It ended up being too many errors to fix. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 58. I’m trying to paint from life again. I spent most of the day waiting for a layer of raw umber to dry so I could restart on this canvas. Trying to get a better/more accurate drawing this time and not lose sight of my lines. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Your face structure looks good here. Perhaps consider placing the pit of her neck and collarbones – as Steve Huston says, it’s a keystone landmark and would help clarify the neck. Good work! What have you learnt so far about working from life?

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah. I’ll try to check out that video today before I start painting. I’ve learned its much harder because no one can stay completely still, and the light and shadows change by the minute🙂. I think it also makes for more interesting paintings though. I just have to adjust my methods a bit because I can’t expect my model to sit completely still for hours like how I would paint with a photo reference.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 59. I have a short window to paint right now because I have to wait till it is cool enough outside, and I am after the best natural lighting. Here is how far I got today. Still working on color mixing, but I feel like it’s getting a bit easier.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I admire you! The difficulty posed by the changing light, model position and time restriction are not small challenges. This one’s looking good. The planes and structure are clear. Your confidence is showing. Keep up the good work!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah 🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 60. A couple more hours of work. Still doesn’t look much like my model/wife yet, but maybe when I work on the details tomorrow. 

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 281 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.