Bryan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing in Oil Pastels

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Bryan’s 100 Day Challenge: Figure Drawing in Oil Pastels

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 281 total)
  • Author
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah. Yes, I agree 🙂. It’s  been great getting your feedback and support. It has been very helpful.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 50. Here is my mostly finished painting. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You’re halfway!! Great work! You’ve come such a long way! I’m so glad I’m doing this challenge. It’s helped me to put a really solid art practice habit in place. I hope it’s helped and encouraged you too. Is this all oil paint? It’s great to see you do a portrait. They’re hard, so well done! Have you watched Steve Huston’s head construction videos? If not, have a look sometime. His head structure approach seems to me a great fit for what you’ve done here 🙂👏🏻👏🏻

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Deborah. Yes, this challenge has pushed me to improve so much as well 🙂. Yeah, all oil paint. I thought about adding in some pastels for texture, but then I’d have to think about spraying a fixative and preservation of two mediums, which is a big hassle. I haven’t watched Steve Huston’s head construction videos yet, but I will definitely check them out at some point. I just used the knitting needles for this one and made sure my measurements were lined up. I’ve spent most of my free time recently watching the Hollis Dunlap and Charles Hu painting videos. I’ve also started to read a book called “Creative techniques of 100 Great artists” which is very helpful. I’m still working on getting my palette set up and developing a system that works for me. Keeping my brushes clean and keeping my colors separate is still a big challenge for me. A famous artist (I can’t remember which one)once said that “most of a painting happens on the palette.” I’ll get there eventually, but it takes a lot of practice. I’ve also started to think a bit about style, but I’m trying not to overwhelm myself with too much at once.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 51. I have a busy day today so I’m going to stop at the drawing stage and start painting tomorrow. 

AJAJ
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Brian! You’re halfway there and have come a long way from your fist posts!  Looking forward to seeing your completed challenge and the full progress 🙂 Keep it up

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you AJ🙂

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You can’t but do well with the dedication you’re showing! It’s great! This new one is a lovely pose. It’s going to make for a great painting 🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Deborah 🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 52. Pretty rough day, so this is as far as I’m going to get today. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Fabulous 👍🏻! The cool tones from the background repeated in the body shadows work really well. Great work!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Deborah🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 53. A few more hours of work on this one. 

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 54. Not a whole lot of painting today. I’m about ready to move on from this one. 

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Are you happy with it? I think it’s lovely 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 281 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.