David’s 100-Day Challenge – Draw something, draw anything

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge David’s 100-Day Challenge – Draw something, draw anything

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Day 45, after much too long a break.  I had to:

• pack up and move a massive workshop
    • pack up and move a massive house into storage
    • move to a new, much smaller temporary location (where I still am).
    • look for a new house to live in (which hopefully is now complete)
    • start a new job (remotely)
    • Christmas
    • Birthdays
    • New Year

In short – all too much!  Hopefully things will settle down soon.  The attempt below is another attempt to get Venus a little more feminine.  I’m happier with this one.  The lighting could be better – I can take another shot tomorrow in the light, but it’s difficult now in winter and the daylight hours are generally spent doing the wage-slave stuff.  At least I’m using a decent DLSR camera now instead of an old phone camera.

The paper here is terrible quality and I can’t find my proper pencils – everything is wrong at the moment, but it will get better!

Venus de Milo - Plaster Cast Drawing - Stage 1 - Attempt 2

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 46.  I’ve started Steve Huston’s Basic Anatomy course.  I was pretty much finished with the beginner’s drawing.  I had a couple of plaster cast ‘lay-ins’ to finish along with the instructor but my patience ran out AND the best one I feel was Brutus but he’s in storage.  I couldn’t face sketching him out again (lazy!) Anyway, I wasn’t really enjoying the plaster cast work and feel I would benefit from studying anatomy first then coming back to plaster casts.  I might do a challenge solely focused on them or the Bargues plates for example, once I’ve got a better understanding of how anatomical forms work.  Another issue I had with the beginner’s plaster cast videos was that the poses weren’t entirely simple – for example the eye of the head above (Venus de Milo) was deliberately posed to be a tiny sliver – this was quite challenging to get right, not at all at beginner level in my opinion.  I think it’s good to be challenged, don’t get me wrong, but I just felt the exercise was pretty difficult.

So onto Mr Huston’s course.  I got his anatomy book last year (yes, you guessed it, it’s in storage!) so I was quite well prepared for this excellent teacher.  I really like his laid back style – I might not be saying that once I get deeper into the details but for now it’s nice to go back to basics.  Sorry about the rubbish lighting again – I will fix this by using daylight from now on.

Notes from Lesson 1 of Steve Huston's basic anatomy

Cheers,
    David.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 47.  Another session with Mr Huston’s wonderful anatomy course.  I say wonderful as he makes very subtle things easy to comprehend and talks about stability and how to knock boxers off their feet!

2nd Session from Steve Huston's Basic Anatomy

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 48.  Sorry, the focus on this is not perfect.

Third session from Steve Huston's Basic Anatomy Course

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by David CarterDavid Carter.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by David CarterDavid Carter.
    David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 49.  Beginning to get into the details here.  Not much drawing as such, more focusing on the principles.

I’ve had to give up trying to photograph in the day as I’m too busy with work.  I’ve been waiting for a few days for an opportunity but there hasn’t been so these are still shot with artificial light and have come in a batch, but they’ve come out OK ish.  In a month’s time the clocks go forward and I can photograph fine at 6pm after I finish drawing (and finish work for the day!).

shoulders and joints

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 50. Legs.  I like the leg in the middle – despite the simple shapes the diagonal egg form to represent the quad gives it some reality I think.

Legs

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 51. Not much time on this and it shows!  I’m not ready to be thrown in the deep end to draw whole figures.  The guy on the right hand side is better – there is some reality there with the arm gesture resting on his back and his head posture.

Gestures

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 52.  Very simple sketch.  I literally had just a few minutes and threw this down on paper.  It shows both my hurriedness and lack of experience in one drawing 🙂

Whole figure quick sketch

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 53. Three two minute sketches, as per the advice in the exercises.  I feel this timescale is too hurried for me and I don’t get enough time to get proportions right etc.  Yes I know the quick ones are to capture the gestures which I might have done but the figures look a bit comical honestly.  With practice maybe I can capture some of the reality and the initial gesture…

Quick two minute gesture sketches

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 54 (today).  Getting into the real details now.  Steve is going over how the arms and shoulders work.  The sketch at the centre actually looks like a real back to me in some ways!

Back and shoulders

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey David so nice to see you back at it. You are doing a great job exploring and sketching along. I, unfortunately, did not get to finish my 100 day but you’ve given me motivation to trudge on. Thank you!!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Carlise and I’m glad I sparked you some motivation there!

Good luck!

Cheers,
    David.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

So my intended house purchase fell through, darn!  Back on the hunt now which is very time consuming.  Not much happening here in the UK on the house sales front as the weather is grim and Covid lockdown #2 in progress.  Ah well, patience patience.

Day 55.  More backs and shoulders!  Beginning to get the feel of this although I’m a long way from fluid.  I’m just copying Steve Huston at the moment…

More shoulders

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day56. Muscles as levers.Muscles as levers

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 57. Back muscles.  Wasn’t so happy with the pinched one (arms too close together) on the right so I redid that – tomorrow.Back muscles.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.