David’s 100-Day Challenge – Draw something, draw anything

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge David’s 100-Day Challenge – Draw something, draw anything

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

9th day of drawing.  Another sketch copying Bill Perkins’ excellent lecture on gesture/forms.  Found this pose quite tricky.  This is the second attempt at it actually.  First was a bit laughable :o)

9 of 100

MyriamMyriam
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great practice! I think you should light the whole page, it’s a bit difficult to see your drawings.  Taking the picture with natural light helps. 👍🏼😊

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks for the feedback Myriam.  I’ll try to up the light levels for the photos taken at night or leave to daylight.  With the daily challenge I’m often drawing just before I hit the sack!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Took this one with flash.  Hopefully a bit brighter. Again this is from the beginners lecture by Bill Perkins.  I’m finding figure drawing really tough. I think I’m getting all the legs a bit short in my sketches.  It might be something to do with my viewing angle.  Will experiment.

10 of 100

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Today’s effort.  A very quick sketch of exercise 1 in Steve Huston’s book which I got today. Yipee! Lovely book! Well done Steve :o)

11/100

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Good job David! I think you’re going to really improve by taking this approach. It’s going to be fun watching!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Verrry sketchy today.  Just had time to make these 1 minute sketchs of a tiger balm jar.  Quite a tricky object to capture well – it has a hexagonal base and a round top.  Will have another crack at it with more time.  I think an axis will help alignment issues. 11 of 100

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You’re doing exactly what you need to right now. Just keep it up! (Remember the midpoint of the figure lies just above the genitals)

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Joshua.  I only had a few minutes spare today so tried the 1 and 2-minute figure sketches – reallllly tough! Most of them came out like aliens apart from this one which is semi human :o)  Tomorrow I should have a bit more time.  I’m pressed for time as I’m preparing a new workshop and there is a lot to do on the ground.

12 of 100

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Another quick sketch today.  Found that my ellipses are a lot more controlled when I draw a bounding box around them.

13 of 100

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Copy of a sketch in Steve Huston’s book. I find copying sketches much easier than sketching from a photo or life. Guess that improves with practice. Quite happy with the overall look of this one, although her left forearm might be slightly too long…

14 of 100

Steve’s lines are really exquisite – each line means something and contributes and flows. Mine is a base copy!!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Another sketch from Steve’s book. Seems a bit mechanical this one. Leg study 14 or 15 of 100

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Some head studies based on Steve Huston’s book.  Very tired here, poor results today but least I picked up the pencil!  My iPhone camera recognised the top two as faces at least!! The top right one was supposed to be a robot but ended up with stupid hair :o)

I think tomorrow I’m going to do a bunch of loosing up exercises by drawing a ton of ellipses and circles.  I think drawing nice symmetrical egg or ellipse shapes I find quite challenging.

15 of 100

Nick HausmanNick Hausman
    Participant
    No points.

Hi David,

Nice work. I would like to take on a 100-day challenge, but am a bit worried about getting drawings in on the weekend.

Not sure if you figured this out already, but I’m pretty sure the wax pencils mentioned near the end of the Beginner Drawing videos were referring to wax-based colored pencils. Prismacolor is supposed to be a good brand. They have a few different lines of pencils, and as mentioned in the video, Verithin is harder. Premiere is their line of softer wax-based pencils. Most colored-pencils are wax-based, so you do have a lot of choice.

Get a few in black and gray (or whatever colors you want) and you should be good to go.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks very much, Nick.  My advice is just to go for the challenge.  Some days I only get 5 or 10 minutes to draw but that’s all it takes to do a few quick sketches.  I think getting into the habit of daily practice is very important, which is why I’m keen on completing the challenge.

Thanks for the pencil advice.  I’ve actually got a full set of Caran d’Ache Pablo pencils (I think they are a wax based), and I’ve also got a bunch of older cheaper coloured pencils too which might be oil-based, I don’t know.  I read about Verithin – they seemed to have mixed reviews – some people say they break too easily and end up worthless as they are ‘broken all the way down’.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.