David’s 100-Day Challenge – Draw something, draw anything

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge David’s 100-Day Challenge – Draw something, draw anything

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

p.s. On the subject of pencils my current favourite are the Conté à Paris ones – there’s a nice set they do called “6 sketching pencils” – 5 brown shades and a black one.  They are really thick, dreamy texture, easy-ish to rub out (not as easy as graphite, but easier than coloured pencils).

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 16

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Figure study from beginners class with Bill Perkims.  16 or 17 of 100

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 18 – back on the video lessons today – had a bit of time in my study.

18 of 100

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 16’s efforts – trying to loosen my curves up a bit which is all I have time for today (again another very busy day shifting heavy stuff around into a new workshop).  I’ve noticed that the SW-NE ellipses are much easier to draw than the SE-NW ones (I’m right-handed) and furthermore the N-S ones are the hardest.  After doing a few of the N-S ones, the SW-NE ones seem like a complete breeze.  I’m quite happy with the egg/organic shapes – they are very pleasing to draw – I will do lots more of those :o)  I should do the hard ellipses too.  The circles are far from perfect but not totally shameful.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Sorry about the double post above.  It was odd – I posted them, but they didn’t show up at the time (I didn’t get an error – just nothing happened immediately).  Now two days later they’ve arrived!

Anyway, here is day 19’s piece.  I’m just following Bill Perkin’s lecture – zero originality here!  Will try the exercise tomorrow (3 distinct value ranges from a photo I’ve taken).  I also need to sort out better indoor lighting.  I’ve started a new job today so will generally not be sketching in the day I think (unless I can sneak in the odd quick sketch) so will be photographing my daily efforts in the evening.  I’ll be looking for artists lights (or lights that can double up as studio lights for photography as I do a fair amount of that too).

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Really enjoying seeing your process and progress, David!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks very much for your encouragement and kind words, Carlise. I’ve posted Day 20 but it hasn’t shown up yet – I imagine it’s in the works somewhere…

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you for the kind words Carlise – very encouraging.

Day 20’s value study (original this time, yay!)  Very interesting shapes and contours here, but I think I might have bitten off a bit more than I can chew:  actually looking at the photo I chose it’s one of those ones which you can look at to begin with and take a while to work out what it is – like a semi-optical illusion.  It’s a very complex set of topologies actually.  Here’s my study first :

I chose a photo I took a couple of years ago on a trip to Sicily.  This one is of the so called Ear of Dionysus near Syracuse.  Here is the photo:

I dove into this one and should have done the initial scaling a bit more carefully, but I’m not totally unhappy with my result.  I might have another go at this one later when I have a bit more experience.   Also I’m using a Conte Pierre Noire 3B on quite a rough Carson paper (it’s called heavy weight cartridge paper, and it’s not smooth – it’s got quite a tooth on it) For these reasons I’m struggling to get smooth textures which might be undesirable here perhaps. Next time I’ll use a simpler graphite pencil and smooth paper.

You can read about the ‘ear’ here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_of_Dionysius

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 21.  Lecture notes from Bill Perkins lesson on major and minor keys.  Not very exciting but this is fundamental stuff!  Bill recommends doing this with new paper to get the feel of the material – great advice.  I can see myself doing this exercise regularly to get a feel for new types of paper or media.

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great job! I actually liked this portion of the lesson. Helped me with pencil pressure for tonal values and, like Bill said, working that pressure on different papers. Also was when I found out I preferred carbon pencil over charcoal, lol!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks again Carlise.  Here is part two for my Day 22.  Agree totally that this is a great exercise for assessing paper/pencils etc.  I find charcoal really hard to control.

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Very nice! I agree about charcoal, however I do like how it blends. Carbon is a nice go between, smoother than charcoal but rougher than granite.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 23.  Yeah, Carlise, I need to work more with Carbon and Charcoal.  I think I’ve got some carbon around somewhere… Thumbnails from Lesson 5, Chapter 10.  Done with a black Prismacolor art marker and yellow postits, stuck on newsprint paper.  Unfortunately I don’t have any of the landscape ones to hand only square.  Will have to get some landscape ones.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi David. I’ve been out of the loop as far as comments for a couple of weeks due, in large part, to my daughter getting her wisdom teeth pulled. But it’s interesting looking at threads and seeing the progress people are making in those two weeks. I really like what you’re doing. You seem to be focusing on fundamentals that, while maybe not always exciting, are absolutely what people need in order to grow consistently. Good job! It’s difficult because we all want to do the flashy cool stuff that’s impressive and few people, especially those who’ve never tried to do art, will find thumbnails impressive. By the way, I find the thumbnails above to be really awesome. That’s another area I should remind myself to work on. I always struggled with it and if I don’t really have to do it I tend not to.

Thanks for the reminder and inspiration.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.