David’s 100-Day Challenge – Draw something, draw anything

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge David’s 100-Day Challenge – Draw something, draw anything

Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Day 90. Buttocks and thighs.  Sacrum being a triangle (‘sacred’) gives location points in the back.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 91. More triangles/buttocks.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 92. Leg rear view.  I was really quite pleased with this sketch.  Seems to have some reasonable proportions, unlike a lot of my sketches 🙂

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 93.  Elbow and knee studies.  Recap material from earlier.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 94: Arm study.

Day 95: Leg study.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 96.  Basic hand and finger studies – notes really from the basic anatomy class.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 97.  Finger and thumb studies.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 98.  Inspired by the hands study and looking forward thinking about a work I want to do, I thought I’d start making some sketches of various elements.  For some ideas I’ve made a quick sketch here of a famous painting by John Howe, one of my favourite fantasy artists, which if you know his work you’ll maybe recognise it (I hope, from my bad copy!) from the cover of his Fantasy Art Workshop book.  It’s on the cover for a reason – it’s a really subtle image compared with some of the large scale and awe inspiring works in the book, but it tells a story with the man clutching the severed beast’s head.  As John Howe says in the book, getting armor to look right is a lot harder than it looks, but his stylised armor on the man is just beautiful.  It’s a very simple, yet captivating image.  That’s Howe’s work all over really.  Anywhere, here is my rough sketch.  I’m not entirely happy with the hand.  The resolution around the little fingers and the shortening of the other fingers is a bit muddled, but it’s ok for a first go.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 99.  Glen Vilppu’s Friday stream.   I like this class, but I’m always so dog tired on a Friday!

Not happy with the results of this one – the proportions are all off.  Also the photo is not great.  Will improve on that.

Fiona

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Ok, this is the final day of this challenge.  I like this hand, it might be one of the best I’ve drawn, but it’s a copy of the master Steve Huston! Well, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or something like that 🙂

Hand study

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Just looked back and I started on May 4th 2020 so it’s been almost a year.  I’ve had plenty of excuses like house and workshop moves but really, if I do another challenge, it has to be simpler in terms of time demands.

I’ll take a break and I think if I do another one, it will be more defined – like ‘5 minute sketch each day of any household object’.

CarolinaCarolina
    Participant
    No points.

Congrats on completing your 100 Day Challenge!!  It is a great accomplishment no matter how long it takes.

Jeffrey ShepherdJeffrey Shepherd
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Congrats David! I like the notion of having a simple goal like a ‘5 minute sketch’. You can always do more if time permits.

Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.