David’s 100-Day Challenge – Draw something, draw anything

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge David’s 100-Day Challenge – Draw something, draw anything

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 133 total)
  • Author
    David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Day 24.

Wow, thanks very much Paul, that’s a very fine compliment, especially coming from you!  Well done for getting a dentist in lockdown, and I hope she is feeling better now.

Thumbnails are in Lesson 5 chapter 10 in the beginners class is if you want to have a look at it, although I’m sure in your long career you’ve studied many different types of thumbnails.  I’d never done thumbnails before so this is a revelation for me.  Heather Lenefsky said that one of her teachers said of thumbnails that you should use a baseball bat as an instrument to get it right!  I liked that comment.  Fussy around with detail is not the idea at all.  Heather is not afraid to mess around with composition light and so on.  She’ll often say ‘what if the background was white here?’, i.e. not being afraid to experiment.

Here’s more of these same, this time incorporating the mid-tones.  I like these better actually as with the mid-tone they seem to be less harsh and are starting to take on something resembling reality.  The monotone ones are where to start I guess to get the basic arrangement and major keys fixed then from there working in the midtone.  I can’t claim much originality here – I’m following along really with Heather, with the occasional diversion.  The biggest diversion is using square Post-Its!  Must get some landscape ones!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 25, quarter of the way through yay!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

When Pixar released The Incredibles in 2004 I was blown away by the animation, story, colour palette, characters, design and so on.  I’ve always thought it was a ground breaking film.  I’ve never dared to draw Mr Incredible before, out of reverence perhaps, but I simply can’t resist.  I need to get better at eyes – it’s all in the eyes!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 27.  Back to thumbnails from the class material.  Only a few tonight as busy with house matters.  Onto grown-up subject matter here aka skulls, books and a drinking vessel!

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Love your Mr. Incredible! How fun, glad you were led to draw him. As wonderful as the 100 day challenge is I find it to be not just a challenge for our skill building but also a challenge for our psyche. I believe mixing it up or taking a quick break from the actual challenge to be healthy! And doing so actually keeps us in check to maybe apply what we have been challenging ourselves with. You are doing great, David – always enjoy seeing your progress.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Aw thanks, Carlise, that’s very kind.  Yes, fun to let go and just draw whatever takes your fancy sometimes instead of rigidly sticking to a program. On that note here’s Day 28’s effort – a sketch after one in gouache by Paul Didier (as part of this same 100 day challenge).

Of course Pauls is wayyy more impressive than my effort, but I like the forms here and the perspective which I think I’ve managed to capture a little.  I drew the initial sketch with a clicky draughting pencil, then started shading with this 6B Koh-I-Noor monster graphite stick.  I think if I was taking my time I would have started with an HB or 2B progressing to 4B/6B.  Of course, I’m time limited again today!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 29 and

some more light relief. Some of you may recognise this poorly drawn character. I’ll have another go when I’m not so tired.  I’ve got the proportions off – the jaw is slightly too low which makes the head almost human in proportion.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 30, again late here so something simple or so I thought.  Turns out this is quite a challenge.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 31.  Another very quick sketch tonight – this time a wood texture study – a bit too regular – it’s sort of from imagination.  I need to get a lump of real wood and sketch that for better realism.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 32.  Just a couple of thumbnails today from the beginners class.  These are done with some new art markers I just got in several tones of gray – I feel they give a better look than my prismacolor ones which are colour-based not tonal.  Also I managed to find some large yellow post-it’s.  Wonder what these sketches would be like with white post-its?…

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 33.  Final thumbnail of this scene before an actual sketch, yay!

My thumbnails are sufficiently different to the tutors, so I’m going to have to use her thumbnail as a reference going into the sketch.  I could go my own way but I’m a sheep when it comes to following along!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 34.  I drew a clown fish.  I suppose if I were a clown fish, I’d probably say ‘Hey, man, you’ve drawn my gills all wrong’ but to my human eyes it looks OK!

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 35.  Continuing the aquatic animal theme. 

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

(By the way, the website is noticeably snappier, well done!)

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    No points.

Day 36, back to the skull still life from the beginner’s class – just blocking out so far on the main sketch.  Sorry about the poor photo.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 133 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.