Chi’s 100-Day Challenge – Live Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Chi’s 100-Day Challenge – Live Figure Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Really like this 2 min one! 🙂

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Chi, I really enjoy your drawings so far. Look forward to more. You’re proportions are good and your gesture is good. I’m glad you did a master copy too. I would encourage more of that.

For these really short, 2min or less poses, try making one lone, simple curve as the primary gesture. It’s more of a thoughtful, design based way of drawing but it may be helpful to add to your practice. Keep up the good work.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Chi. I really like your 2 min sketch above! Such energy! You asked me, a few posts back, how to keep the energy of the 1 and 2min sketches in the 10 min sketches. That is the challenge! You see that with painters too. How did Sargent, Sorolla and Zorn create paintings that they worked on for weeks or months with the wonderful freshness that you often see in their quick studies? It’s so amazing and challenging. I try many different ways to do that with sketches. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t. I imagine Sargent, Sorolla and Zorn also did paintings that ended up looking stiff too, (maybe they painted over those; )

Anyway, usually when doing a longer drawing, I still start as if it’s a 1 minute sketch, just very lightly. Then after capturing the gesture I’ll come in with a darker charcoal or darker pencil and start hopefully nailing the important lines and graphic shapes, (now thanks to Joshua, I’m also focusing on the transition areas along the figure masses). The ink sketches I’m posting are almost all done from scratch with ink because I don’t want to overthink and overwork them, but if I’m doing a more finished ink rendering I’ll nearly always sketch very lightly with a 2h pencil, first getting the gesture and even working out the hatching patterns and directions I plan to use.

Sometimes the looseness and freshness stays til the finish, sometimes I lose it. If you find a foolproof way of keeping it, please share it with me!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by PaulDidier.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by PaulDidier.
    Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

those last 2 pages look awesome 😀 i definitely think you kept the looseness in the 10 minute ones, especially in the standing one that one is reaaally nice

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Chi. Haven’t seen any posts for a few days. Hope all’s well. Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Chris for the suggestions! I really enjoyed your fundamental drawing course and going through the Rendering course next. Can’t wait!

Thanks Lucas! I enjoyed these too.

Thank you Paul for your insights and for checking up on me 😭 It has been a little heavy on my mental health with everything happening in the world, so I decided to take a small break. Came back today with fresh eyes and quite like these!

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 26: I really like the standing figure. Struggled a bit to show the twist on the laying down one. I’m thinking of doing a fully rendered drawing tomorrow 🙂

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Awesome Chi! These look good! So good to have you back. Yes, the last week or so has been at times emotionally overwhelming. Just know you’ve got many new friends here.

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 27: Just got my job back so don’t know if I could post every day. I will try to though!

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 28

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Chi, you’re continuing to improve! The last two posts seem more relaxed and have more energy.

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 29: got reinstated full-time at my job so finding time to practice got more difficult. Squeezed in an hour today before work!

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 30: Worked 8hrs a day for 7 days straight. Squeezed in a few practices but mostly when it was already too dark to photograph. This day was bad, since I didn’t get to draw for a few days before this.

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31: Happy Midsummer! These are also the poses I sketched on my first post in this challenge. Not sure I see the improvement but maybe i’m getting looser???..

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 32 after months of nothing …

well I’m back, will try to continue learning along with a full time job 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.