Chi’s 100-Day Challenge – Live Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Chi’s 100-Day Challenge – Live Figure Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Greetings from Finland!

I’ve been on NMA for 2 weeks, practicing everyday, and I’m inspired by you all to commit to my 100-day-challenge. I’m going to do live figure drawing (15 min each) everyday to improve my gesture flow and shading.

Here is today’s work. Appreciate any advice you may have for me.

CeciliaVedbergCeciliaVedberg
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, nice drawings! I struggle with anatomy here on the 100-days challenge.

Greetings from Cecilia in Sweden

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi neighbor!

Thank you, I’m still trying to make sense of gestures in my work.

I love your 100-day-challenge! Technical stuff you got going on.

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

2nd day:

I’m super uncomfortable sketching/drawing with markers (as you can probably see) so I decided to use marker today. Ha.

Expectedly not happy with the results, but this medium does help me stop rendering and move on. 10 mins sketch.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Chi VarjusChi Varjus.
    David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Well done!  Nice figures!

CeciliaVedbergCeciliaVedberg
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Oh, there is so much movement in your drawings. I like them a lot. What type of reference do you have?

Jado ArlyJado Arly
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The marker drawings are captivating… i like the boldness!

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great challenge! Your proportions and accuracy seems rather good. Focus on loosening up and trying to get that gesture and 3D form.

I issued you your 100 Day Challenge Participation Badge!

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Cecilia I’m using the Daily Life Drawing session here on NMA, just giving myself 5 min more on the longer poses.

Thanks Joshua! Yes I’m working on loosening up but also kinda struggling 😅

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3: trying to loosen up and failing. 

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Chi. Checking out your page for the first time. I like your challenge! As I mentioned in a reply to you I LOVE gesture drawing. I posted a warmup on my challenge in reply to you that might help with your marker. If you’re using a sharpie, which are fairly cheap (if you buy them at Costco you can get about 20 for around $10), take the cap off one and let it get a little dry. Otherwise the ink flow is just too much for any control.

As Joshua said, your proportions look good. To loosen up, I find it really helpful to simply stop worrying about rendering. Getting free sweeping lines and contour lines that indicate the thickness, roundness and 3d shape is what I strive for in my gestures. Especially the very quick ones.

Good work. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks so much Paul!

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Another marker session today. Liking the gestures here better, i think. 10 min sketches

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Chi. These look better. I like the contour lines you’re using to indicate the 3d aspect of the form. I notice from the clip at the top of the page that you’re working rather small. I’ve always found it difficult to do loose gestures when working small. The page I posted for you on my feed was 18′ x 24″. I find it MUCH easier to loosen up working that size or larger.

Also, I just noticed you’re in Finland! Sorry, I didn’t see that before. I’m assuming there aren’t any Costcos in Finland so my suggestion about buying Sharpies doesn’t work. Do they have Sharpies in Finland at all?

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Paul! Yes I’m sketching on a4 printing papers for now since that’s all I have in the house at the moment 😅 But for sure will try to get some bigger newsprints asap!

Haha yes we have Sharpies! Gotta see if we have deals on them anywhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.