Chi’s 100-Day Challenge – Live Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Chi’s 100-Day Challenge – Live Figure Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Did some master studies of Daumier yesterday to improve looseness. Wondering if I can change the challenge to practicing in my sketchbook, and not just on life figure drawing?

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 20: Missed one day yesterday because of a terrible depressive episode. Did these 5 min sketches today.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Chi, sorry to hear of your rough day. Seems as though many of us in the arts face those types of challenges.

Wanted to tell you though, your Daumier studies are really incredible! Better than I’ve ever done! I particularly like how you seem to be really capturing the movement, vitality, feel and even technique without tightening up and laboriously copying his work. I believe that’s exactly how we should study the masters. Thanks for posting these. You’ve inspired me to do more studies of him and other artists! Hope you’re feeling better.

André Girão TaufferAndré Girão Tauffer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Chi, greetings from Sweden! Amazing challenge, just started seeing your posts today, and I’m now a fan of your ink studies. Somehow I feel you accentuate the curves a bit more when your on ink. Anyway, very nice and expressive studies.

Sorry to hear about your day, but the bad days are here to help us enjoy even more the good days! Looking forward to seeing more of your challenge!

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Paul, yes I have been struggling with depression for a long while and with meds and therapy I’m getting better, although days like this happen sometimes. Thank you for the comments about my Daumier studies, done it after your suggestions! Truly enjoyed it!

Hej André, how are you doing in Sweden? Thank you for your kind words, I used to not like using a pen but with this challenge I’m liking it even better than colored pencils which used to be my favorite.

I’m getting better and bad days are few inbetween good ones now (knock on wood)

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 21 feels pretty good!

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 22

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Nice fluid forms, Chi.

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks David 🙂

Day 23: not liking these

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Chi, I know the feeling. We all feel that way some times when we sit back and look at a page of sketches or a painting we’re working on that’s not as good as we’d like. Just plow through it. And keep comparing, not to other artist’s work, (because usually other artists show their best stuff), but keep comparing to your earlier work. I know if you compared the page you didn’t like with pages you did a month ago you’d see the improvement. Not to say you don’t want more improvement, that’s a good thing, but getting discouraged when you’re persevering AND improving isn’t helpful.

You’re getting better.I think everyone who’s commented on your thread sees that too!

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I think these look great Chi theres a nice movement and flow to them 🙂 …ive just started properly getting into gestures and figure drawing and i hate every sketch i do atm (its really hard) xD  but like paul said just keep going 🙂 i also like to joke about my own bad drawings and then slide them under the bed and pull them out weeks later for another laugh 😀 dont be too hard on yourself just try have fun with it.

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 24

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Chi. I see you’re using graphite for a change. I think that’s a great idea. Oddly enough I was thinking I might use pencil for a change of medium today for the same reason Lucas and I have been discussing switching things up. I tend to get in a bit of a rut if I keep doing the same thing day after day.

I’m seeing good things in your last post. In the top figure you’ve really captured the gesture very nicely. I’ve got to say, I REALLY like the partial figures on the lower right of the page! There is a looseness and energy there that’s excellent. I want to see the rest of those figures! You’re continuing to make progress.

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Lucas. I have a specific goal in mind and the deadline is approaching so i’m a little tense haha.

Thanks Paul! I notice my 1 and 2 mins sketches are much looser too. How should I work on keeping that in my 10 min sketches ?

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 25: I try to use a different medium every other day. Today with paper stumps and charcoal shavings to establish gestures, then a medium charcoal pencil. 10 mins each. Quite liking these!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.