Chi’s 100-Day Challenge – Live Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Chi’s 100-Day Challenge – Live Figure Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 121 total)
  • Author
    Jean-Pierre Fermet
    Participant
    No points.

I like flows and shadow rendering. Nice!

JP

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Ramona Thank you! I think the natural curves in female bodies help the gesture flows.

@PaulDidier Thank you Paul! All of your advises help so much! Glenn Vilppu course might have something to do with it too haha

@Davidcarter & @Jean-Pierre Thank you for the kind words. I’m trying to get better everyday!

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11: Ballpoint pen is fun

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 12: feels like one of those days where I’m back where I started. 2 steps forward, one step back?

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great progress here. I think it’s good that you’re separating the light from shadow side but if you do make sure to do a core shadow (darker than the rest of the shadow side, wide a soft on round corners, narrower on sharper changes of plane).

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Chi, don’t see why you’re saying “one step back”. These have really improved! Your ballpoint pen sketches especially are really nice and WAY better than where you were just a few days ago! More like “ten steps forward, then I’ll be too hard on myself?” ; )

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Joshua Thank you! I will pay attention to that next time.

@PaulDidier Maybe they felt worse than they look haha. Sometimes my hands just feel like they are struggling. Thanks Paul!

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 13: Feeling quite good about these. Struggle a bit with the pose on the right.

Looked through some old sketches when I just started on NMA and feeling better about my progress. Thinking of posting some before-after.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Yes, definitely know that feeling. As I’ve mentioned on my feed, sometimes I’ll think something looks bad, then I’ll look at it weeks or months later and think, “Hmm, that’s not bad at all. Why did I get so discouraged? I should have kept working in that direction.”

That’s what’s so great about this challenge. We get input from other people who are looking at what we do with a fresh perspective and without the perfectionist tendency, (but will still give honest, constructive criticism).

T. KuusamaT. Kuusama
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I find the “one step back” feeling is fairly reliable when learning something new. Sometimes it’s even true and I temporarily get worse at it. But after a few days or weeks, the thing that felt so hard suddenly becomes second nature. I believe the feeling is the result of the brain rearranging neural connections. When this reconstruction is going on, things feel hard. Once it’s done, the brain has a much more efficient way to execute the skill in question.

I think there’s some evidence to support this, but at the least thinking so keeps me away from the deep end of frustration. 😉

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@PaulDidier Yes, I’m so inspired by everyone in this forum and thankful for all the comments. I learned so much in 1 month than I have been alone.

@TiinaKuusama That’s a great way of looking at it! Never thought of it that way. I will keep this in mind from now on 🙂

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14: woah two weeks went by so fast! I almost wish this quarantine lasts longer so I can learn like this full time haha.

Done with Pilot drawing pen.

Chi VarjusChi Varjus
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Studied Glenn Vilppu’s Modeling tones lesson yesterday and this is the 20 min assignment. So fun!

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

these look great 😀 you’re putting in plenty of effort and its payin off!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Wow, lots of progress to see in the last post! Glenn Vilppu is such an amazing teacher! This site is arguably the best art school in existence. A real privilege to have access to all these amazing instructors and the video resources here.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.