Andrew’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Andrew’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 34 – Tried to draw the portrait a bit smaller.

Thanks Joshua. Yeah, I am a bit passive when I sketch with pen, but realized today I could sketch on another paper with a pen first to work on all the proportion. The next Villpu lessons I will learn something about skull structures and soon about the planes.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35 – Drawing the portrait smaller doesn’t tire me out that much. Which is nice. But drawing the details for the eyes and the rest is harder.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 36

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 37 – Trying out drawing with gel pens.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Really nice work. Keep trying those difficult head positions. That’s where you learn the most about the structure!

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 38 –

Took a longer break. Was in vacation mode.

Thanks Joshua. Trying to draw more heads with foreshadowing, but it’s kinda hard.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Yeah you need to think about the overlaps more. The mouth barrel (muzzle) should be overlapping the base of the nose. Think of a aerial view of landscape. Some hills or mountains overlap the others. It’s the same with small forms. The tip of the nose in this case should overlap the bridge of the nose. The cheek and the fat under the eyes can partially overlap the eyes. Try to think of these things and you’ll notice them in your reference more.

We want to think of the face as a mountain range more than as a paper plate mask.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua. Tried to redraw it and to fix some of the problems. Not sure if I got the mouth right with the overlapping.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 39 – Think I am going to focus some days on small portrait sketches.

Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Andrew,

I’m just learning more about drawing myself, so I feel a little brazen giving you feedback, but one thing I might suggest is to work with a naturally softer medium, like a number 2 or 3 pencil (graphite), so that you can create shadow without having to work so hard. I remember Iliya saying that it’s not about how sharp the pencil is, it’s how long the lead is, and he recommends getting a box cutter to be able to sharpen (lengthen) the lead. That way, you can draw more with the side of the pencil rather than the tip, and you can also purchase a paper stub, use a paper towel, or toilet paper to soften and smooth your strokes. As you gain confidence, you can get a sanguine or charcoal pencil which will also give you a soft finish and help with light and shadow. 

I hope that helps. Keep in mind that drawing will be a process rather than an event. You have a really good start. I bet you’ll be surprised where you’ll be a year from now. I’m still a novice in terms of learning about anatomy, but I found that taking an anatomy course was really helpful. I want to take another anatomy course from NMA, because I find that we tend to pick up different information from different teachers, and there is so much to learn that it takes a while to integrate the information. 

Keep up the good work and take care,
    Beth

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Beth. I am currently working with a black pen. My scanner turns the drawing more bright. So it looks a bit if I drew it with a pencil.

I don’t really enjoy the progress with shading with pencils and the smudging. At the moment I am trying out different drawing mediums and stick with some which works for me. Want to give watercolour a try.

I am already at 4 months on NMA. And I am jumping courses to courses and got burn out pretty fast. Tried out different portrait courses and see what the drawing process of the teachers are like. Anatomy is maybe after I finish the portrait lessons or the fundamentals will see.

Day 40.

Did a collab with Rocket here. I drew the rigt person and she drew the left one.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 41 – Trying to get used to the pen and gel combo. Might only use the gel for the eyes and nose and hair details.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Andrew, please see this video I made for you.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua for the reviews lately. Didn’t expect a 25 min video.

I left the hand empty,because I did a collab with someone. Wanted to ask for permission first so I could post it. Goal was we draw each one person.

Here is our reference : https://unsplash.com/photos/CtS2fK_f7gE

I will focus working on the next days more on construction. Gotta watch out for the planes since I am not able to see them yet. And you are right didn’t do any neck courses, so I tried to copy like from the references. The shadows are hard too see, because the reference is really bright. Will giving a try on working on my crosshatching skills. Found out there is a Villpu crosshatching lesson.

Yeah, atm I am like rotating a bit of all the videos. Wanted to do the fundamental lessons from Ilya, but it turned out harder then I thought. So I switched to the portrait lessons. Tried out three different NMA teachers and search which works best for me.

Thanks again.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Oh I see now. Cool idea!

Yes Glenn is great for cross hatching technique. 👌

I also recommend copying the works of Durer.

As for your reference, you’re right. A photo rarely gives us even most of what we need. That’s what makes construction so powerful. We can modify, and fill in areas with knowledge.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.