Andrew’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Andrew’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11 – Drawing with a red pen now. Going to grab more of those colored pens. I like it a lot.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like both of them and it’s definitely noticeable that you feel more comfortable with pen.

Maybe just focus on that for a while and then try to translate the learned to other mediums.

If it’s about your pen work you could for example try to experiment with different strokes like creating a portrait with more expressive “scribbled” lines or try stippling. 👍👋

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Christopher.
    Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work. Just because you’re working with line doesn’t mean you need to ignore value. You can emphasize lines on the core shadow and shadow side for a more convincing effect!

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 10 – Drawing with a pen is kinda fun. And I prefer it for a sketching. No need to sharpen and I have to deal with it if I sketch wrong. Red drawing is from yesterday. Liked how it turned out. Might grab more of those colored pens.

@Christopher – Thanks. I watched a bit of Crhis Legaspi his rendering, but didn’t do the last exercise, switched before to the Steve Huston lessons, but I am not that far. I think i prefer the sketchy drawing style. I will give Villpu a try, after I finished the beginner Sheldon lessons.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Weird the post appeared so late. Maybe it doesn’t work with multiple pics.

Forgot to post the last days work.

Day 12

@Christopher – Thanks, at the moment I am just comfortable with drawing straight lines and no idea how to shade hair with it. Gotta find some lessons about it.
    @ Jakob – Thanks. I am pretty bad at value. Drawing/Shading with a pen is kinda hard since I tend to press to hard.

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hey Andrew,

I am a big fan of pen drawing myself, it forces you to make a lot of decisions and really think about what’s developing on the page. I do believe it is important to keep in mind the fundamentals, which is to say the planes of the face and how they affect the values. It’s even more important to figure out where the values go, than to get the values themselves 100 percent correct. I did a draw-over outlining the most important planes and plane-changes in the face and readjusted the values a little bit. Also, always keep in mind the relationship of the center of the lips to the center of the brow (the facial angle)

Keep up the great work,

Iliya

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Ilya, most of the time I am not sure If I should spent so much time on shading or just keep the drawing more simple where I can leave some spots just white.

Since I got a bit late with posting here are the drawing from the last two days and today.

Day 13

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 15 – Newest drawing wasn’t sure if I should shade the cross hatch the hair since the portrait had curly hair.

iamjakerooiamjakeroo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

nice work on your portrait drawings

i like what you do with a pen

very cool

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks iamjakeroo.

Day 16 – Wanted to shade the clothes, but got to tired at the end.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 17 – Trying out coloring with pens.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 18 – Back to pencil drawing. Also started trying out the Villpu lessons. No change at the moments in my drawing style.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 19 – Drew the eyes a bit to small I guess.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 20 – Gotta work on more foreshortening portraits.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.