Andrew’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Andrew’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello this is Andrew.

Atm I am doing with my study group a 100 portrait challenge, where we draw the same portrait.

Main goal is to improve with portrait drawings and trying some new drawing technique and medium. Atm I started Steve Huston his lesson, but took a break for Ilya his Russian Drawing Course.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by AndrewAndrew.
    AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 1: Here is my first drawing. Wanted to give cross hatching a try. But wasn’t how to do shade the curly hair.

lmartinezusmc
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Keep it up, Andrew!  I think that’s a great start for cross-hatching.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@lmartinezusmc – Thanks a lot. Might need to try other shading technique too. But cross hatching is fun.

Here my drawing for the 2nd day.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

3rd day – Back to my cross hatching. Do you guys now any oldmasters who uses cross hatching for shading?

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 4 – Got the proportions for the nose wrong. Realized after I started to shade.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Andrew,

You can look at Rembrandt’s portrait etchings for cross hatching.  He is just so killer!  and Jean Baptist Greuze.  Check them out.  Good luck!!

Erin
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Andrew

You could have a look at Albrecht Dürer’s drawings and etchings as well – he used lots of hatching/cross-hatching.  Good luck with the challenge!

Cheers

Erin

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5 – First time using charcoal. I might try out different mediums. Kinda interesting how it works and how well it smudges. Thanks my left hand.

@Erikdennes – Thanks I will check them out. Looks like Jean Bapist Greuze has some amazing clean hatching. I might try to copy some of his works. The sketch style from Rembrand looks nice and simple.
    @Erin – His animal studies looks nice. It will be a good reference for the future. Thanks also.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6 – Sketched the work first and tried using a felt pen for the sketch/crosshatching and a permanent marker for the hair and clothes.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7 – First time using the pastel pencil and toned paper, I liked the white color for the highlights. I think I will give watercolors a try.  Then stick with 2-3 drawing materials for drawing.

Might give charcoal another shot. Kinda hard to use that medium.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8 – Tried to draw a kid, but it turned out to be pretty old. Realized I also can’t even draw frills and flowers. Will draw this again as my 100th portrait.

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9 – Trying out charcoal again. Still not used to the shading style. But I like how the face turned out. Still need to learn how to shade hairs and add texture with charcoal.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Andrew,

I for myself put charcoal to the side for the moment but if it’s about rendering in charcoal I would suggest Steve Huston’s and maybe Chris Legaspi’s videos about rendering in charcoal. I assume you already did but just in case 😁👍

If I’m correct Chris learned from Steve and they both have a similar but beautiful style of charcoal rendering. Their way of teaching also goes hand in hand since both articulate the principles in a simple way while I found Chris’s teaching to be more simple/beginner friendly and Steve on the other hand really goes in depth.

Good luck 👍👋

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Christopher.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Christopher.
    AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Weird the upload of day 10 didn’t work. I tried Chris Legasp but I skipped the last charcoal lessons, because wasn’t a fan of the process and wanted to clear Steve and Ilya his lessons first, but i took a break from them after I found there were lesson from Sheldon.  So I went back to the basics and will try later again or give Villpu a try.

Day 10 – Drawing with a pen. Like the sketchy stuff and where I can’t erase the drawing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.