100 Hundred Days of Figure and Anatomy Studies

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge 100 Hundred Days of Figure and Anatomy Studies

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)
  • Author
    LEWIS MACKENZIELEWIS MACKENZIE
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I joined this site primarily to improve my figure drawing and understanding of anatomy, so to that end I’m going to go for the 100 day challenge. I’m taking part in a couple of the upcoming live classes, so on the days I’m working on assignments for those I’ll probably post my assigment work. Otherwise I’ll post any figure drawings, anatomy studies or heads I work on in my spare time. My aim is to – at minimum – post one or two five minute life drawing poses.

I did a daily life drawing video session tonight, so I guess I’ll kick it off with that:

5 min

5 min

10 min

Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 2

Warmed up with a few 5 minute figure poses, then set out to draw a bunch of skulls from photo reference, but only managed one.

5 min poses

5 min poses

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 3 – more skulls.

skulls

Amber Parker
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great work! Looking forward to seeing your work!

Amber

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Amber!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 3

I forgot to post yesterday, so here are some experiments with watercolour crayons and a water brush, done for Glenn Villpu’s course on drawing materials.

Vilppu drawing materials w1

Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 4

Made a T-square, a set of proportional divers, and see a buncha lines and circles on a piece of paper.

Anatomy master class 1

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Got mixed up that was day 5, and the one before was day… 4. Obviously.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 6

Some sketches from life of my daughter and her friend this afternoon and some progress on the first assignment for Joshua Jacobi’s anatomy masterclass.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 7

Progress with the anatomy plate. Trying to forge ahead as I’m away next week and don’t want to fall behind.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 8

Spent an hour getting to know Procreate for Iliya Morochnik’s digital figure painting class and finished the rear view of the anatomy plate.

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Lewis. Really nice figure work: I like the looseness and line sensitivity to some of the contours.

Regarding the figure above:

#1-I would simplify this part on the arm a bit more by just shadow massing those little light spots. Though I may need to see the reference. Cast shadows, when used wisely, can describe form.

#2-Value of her skin and background are too equal and blend with each other. Aim for having the foot ‘show’ contact with the floor. You can either darken the contact spot below her foot or lighten up the side plane of the foot by having the same value as the rest of the leg above.

But good job on the form/light-shadow construction on her torso. I can really feel those planes.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey man, thank you very much! I’m only just rediscovering the importance of sketching regularly and am forcing myself back into the habit. Don’t mind telling you that your own sketchbook is pretty inspiring in that regard.

Thanks for the thoughtful critique too. I agree with all your points and will keep them in mind as I proceed past the block in on the figure painting. I like to keep things fairly open until I’m happy with the tonality and colour before trying to nail the drawing, but I’m starting to get to that stage now.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 9

Some studies from Michelango, plus one flailing impromptu attempt to draw my own left hand in a similar way.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 10

WOO-HOO! I have completed 0.1 100 day challenges!

I’ve been travelling today, and didn’t manage to submit this in time, but I did a little more refinement this evening and am fairly happy with where it is going. Head was all over the place, though, so thoroughly smooshed it and will repaint tomorrow. First image is the paint layer, second image has the sketch layer superimposed.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 115 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.