100 Day Challenge: Heads and Faces-planes/structure/proportion

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge 100 Day Challenge: Heads and Faces-planes/structure/proportion

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 193 total)
  • Author
    Nat
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Mattias, i saw your day 30 post – sometimes it just feels like you’re just going through the motions, don’t it? I’ve heard art teachers say  the more you improve you begin to see smaller, more nuanced mistakes, so it can feel like you’re getting worse but you’re just seeing more. I like the dynamic nature of your heads, they all have lots of character.

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Haha thanks Marcolino, Much thanks for the encouraging words 🙏. i do agree with Steve Houston so I can’t argue with that lol,

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Natalie, i may have been a bit dramatic on day 30 hahaha. And yes it does feel that way sometimes, Like I’m going through the motions  so I got to mix it up then. But also that I might be getting worse, but those are very wise helpful words, I appreciate the positive thinking, that with a little bit of confidence can go a long way! 🙌 🙏

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 32: page 4. I got a real late start today unfortunately, ran outta time. I was thinking that I tend to get distracted focusing on an arm or a leg or something instead of first getting the big gestural/structural chunks Figured out first. I probably should do more timed drawings… that would probably help me focus on the big idea.

I tried something different today, clothes! I had an enjoyable time, this is certainly an interesting different challenge for me. I know my challenge is heads, cmon this totally counts there’s heads on there haha.

I don’t do much drapery at all so the folds are pretty iffy and sloppy. I did do some of the clothed figure class but not all. I was trying my darndest to try and think of how to continue the gesture through the folds, but it didn’t always turn out. I think the main thing that’s really disappointing is that I should have really emphasized the form way more. The most important thing!! Thinking 3D is hard!!

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 33: I got my proko skull in!!! This is soooooo cool! Love it. Really actually ran out of time today, was pretty busy… not happy with these drawings, especially those two, gee wiz. Shows my lack of perspective understanding. Anyway I must sleep

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 34: this might be cheating since it’s basically just figures but I decided to just focus on this and I ran out of stamina to do faces properly. I promise I’ll do some proper faces tomorrow!

i did some more of Spirit Of the Pose today, really good stuff. The first gestures are following along with Karl. I think my lack of knowledge shows itself in my seeming inability to really go past the quick sketch. One of my many big gaping holes of uncertainty.

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Mattias. I love how loose you are and how simply you describe form. These figures are quite animated and clear. How long are you spending on these?

Curious to see how you tackle a figure made of cylinders+boxes going forward. 😛 😉

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Mattias,

I can only repeat myself in that I really enjoy looking at your gestures. Additionally I think that you can start to see an improvement in your consistency of your work. The overall quality and proportions got better in my opinion.

I agree with Marcolino that it might be a good time to add a new challenge.

Keep going, I for my part think that you are on a good way and that you are ahead of me 😛👋

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks so much marcolino! Coming from you it means a lot! I wasn’t using a timer, while I do try and make sure Im getting the most important big parts and movements in the fist minute or so, honestly I don’t really like the time limit lol, maybe somewhere around 6 min? Is that too long? Using a time limit occasionally would probably help in some ways.
    As is apparent, I do struggle with making clear construction, finding clear corners! Putting it in Boxes! Hence this challenge, I guess on day 50 I’ll officially add figure construction lol. So I’ve noticed occasionally that things always kind of stay in the flat gestural zone. More mannequinization, defining the planes of the figure, it’s spatial position, 3D!! Not easy, much thinking! Just wrapping lines around like I do can leave things pretty vague. I’ll certainly try on work on this, thanks much. 🙏

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks very much Christopher, it’s certainly encouraging! Sometimes I look back at my older drawings and think that I’ve gotten boring! And I certainly need to challenge myself more in thinking structure/corners.🙌

while I appreciate your confidence, I wouldn’t say anyone is ahead of anybody here hahaha. We all have our own strong points and weak points, and there are countless methods of hopefully getting to the same place if that makes any sense!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by theokatzman45.
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Confidence 😳 What did I actually say? I intended to say that I think that you are overall a bit farther in your development and ahead of me in terms of being better skill wise in my opinion. It was ment like a 😉 because you said I’m ahead of you if it’s about tone in my thread 😅

And I agree with what you are saying about everyone here being here to learn, so sorry if I messed up my english and said something different 😅

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Haha no no I was just referring to your support of my stuff haha, not at all meant negatively, I thank you for the high praise. looking at it now it’s not a very clear way to put it, my bad lol

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35: well there’s certainly some faces, can’t say I’m too happy with them though. It’s no good, I have a shortage of confidence, get all tight, get real zoned into features, and don’t pay nearly enough attention to the whole, the big important structures, the connections, and It just turns into a mess. Lack of knowledge/understanding. I probably need more focus on the head itself from more angles, thats a whole other thing, and Simple structures of the skull. Just wasn’t feeling it today.

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Are these from imagination? Reference? Stylized after the reference? Chris Legaspi has a cool exercise where he just focuses on the big outer shape. Good exercise for observation/likeness. You can definitely explore the neck to shoulder connection. Huston mentions it in his timed-sessions. Check out his free Head drawing vid on NMA’s YT channel.

theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Marcolino thanks for the helpful tips, I’ll try and look for that video. These are not from imagination unfortunately, from reference. I’m not really going for the stylized look, i guess it’s just a result of my current level of understanding and ability. And sometimes it’s true I could probably be more observant to the reference haha.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 193 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.