Zach’s 100 Day Challenge: 10 Daily Value Study Thumbnails

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Zach’s 100 Day Challenge: 10 Daily Value Study Thumbnails

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You are going to want to start figuring out exactly where the clavicle, acromion process and scapula is. It’s tough but it’s the only way to do convincing figures.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@ Joshua Jacobo Oh man those beautiful anatomical words get me hyped – I can’t wait! I’ve always wanted to learn anatomy but never felt confident enough in my gesture/structure to venture beyond those initial stages. Thank you for the feedback!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 16 – Limited time again today but managed to sketch an initial lay in and begin hinting at the separation of light and dark areas. I’m planning on fleshing this out more tomorrow. One concern I have with this pose is how close the lower arm/wrist is to the lower back/hip – it’s too late to adjust the pose slightly so I’m going to have to figure out how to clearly show the lower arm going behind the back/hip. I know this was discussed in one of the first few NMA critiques on YouTube, I’m planning on referencing that feedback and hopefully applying it to this situation if possible.

Eventually I’d like to do value studies of just the head and features during this challenge. This whole thing is really fun!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 17 – Continuation of yesterday’s study, this one is slightly more refined mainly in the torso. Subtlety playing with that secondary light source and trying to get those values working.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by ZachZach.
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great work here!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 18 – I had been focusing on torsos the past few days and decided to throw a little leg in the mix.

I have so many things I want to study right now, the head, hands, feet, and anatomy in general. I think I’m going to slowly steer my studies toward the head first.

@JoshuaJacobo Thank you!!

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice grouping and beautiful turning of the form. I think you could darken your core shadow a bit.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@JoshuaJacobo Thanks man! I see what you mean and I totally agree, I kept darkening that core shadow as I went along but should’ve done one more pass at the end!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 19 – I slept my day away after work today and only managed to begin another leg study haha. I’m pumped to continue this one tomorrow though, the model’s legs are super lean so the muscles really pop!

I’m trying to be conscious of portraying the tension of tendons in the leg. This is testing my memory from Rey Bustos’ Leg/Feet anatomy classes I took notes on (the only one of the series I’ve watched so far and it was months ago).

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 20 – Finished the leg study from yesterday! I noticed some things were off from my first lay in, especially the direction of the tendon that wraps around the lower end of the fibula.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by ZachZach.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 12 months ago by ZachZach.
    ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 21 – Short on time today so I only managed a very very rough lay in. I may just abandon this altogether because my drawing feels so stiff and the pose itself is a bit Mr. Robotoish. Although it may be a good challenge to address the stiffness and add fluidity. We’ll see how I feel tomorrow!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Nice work Zach. I especially like your day 17 drawing. Have you thought of doing studies of artists like John Singer Sargent or, especially La Lyre?

Hmmm, I just did a search for La Lyre and there’s virtually NO drawings of his out there. Bizarre. I’m not particularly a fan of his paintings, but his charcoal figure drawings, especially of women, are jaw droppingly good.

Years ago I bought a copy of the Master Drafstman Series “The Drawings of La Lyre” and it’s awesome. Even that seems hard to find. There’s a site called CTN that has a copy. The one on Amazon is outrageously expensive and apparently the drawings in that version are red. My copy has them in black and white. Anyway, if you Google “The Master Drafstman Series The Drawings of La Lyre” it will bring up a picture of the book. The cover drawing is very much what you’ll find inside. From what you’re doing in your studies it might be something you really enjoy.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 22 – Did my best to redeem yesterday’s rough lay in LOL

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@PaulDidier Thank you for the support and suggestions! I’m a little embarrassed to say I never do master studies, the idea had never appealed to me. However, after gaining a little more confidence in my rendering skills during this challenge, it sounds like a fun and beneficial exercise! Your mention of La Lyre is the first time I’m hearing the name, and the fact that it’s difficult to find his drawings adds a certain mystery that makes buying the book even more appealing haha. I’m excited to check it out and I may see about getting a copy! How has your experience been with doing master studies? Which masters do you tend to gravitate toward for your studies?

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 23 – Short on time again today but I decided to switch it up slightly and begin learning about hands. Started a rough sketch of my left hand that I’ll add to tomorrow. Hoping to light my hand and add some value as well. This will be interesting!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.