Zach’s 100 Day Challenge: 10 Daily Value Study Thumbnails

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Zach’s 100 Day Challenge: 10 Daily Value Study Thumbnails

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

very nice drawings zach. your progress has already been really good. keep it up 🙂

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Your overall value control is improving. Drapery and flesh are very very similar. Practice drawing pillows cushions and blankets on your couch.

That core shadow on the leg is too thin in my opinion because that form is round and generous and would turn slowly, so a wider core shadow would be expected

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Zach, I really like how you’re combining different techniques in the same study. Is this charcoal? The last one looks as though it might be prismacolor.

CeciliaVedbergCeciliaVedberg
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice to follow your work. Its a lot of movement in your drawings!

Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I really like the simplicity of the contour line in your figure drawing!

Laura EspinosaLaura Espinosa
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice drawings Zach! Like to see your improvement through this challenge.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Lucas @Laura Thank you for the encouragement and kind words!

@JoshuaJacobo I appreciate the awesome tips and suggestions, I hadn’t considered the roundness of the form affecting the core shadow in that way until you mentioned it! This is the first time in my life blankets and pillows have scared me but I’ll give it a go!

@PaulDidier Thank you Paul! All of the figure drawings have been done using just Faber Castell Polychromos Pencils. I initially began using them after watching Glenn Vilppu’s figure courses on NMA, I’ve really fallen for them. The aesthetic, feel, and flexibility is amazing to me! The Navy/Royal blue is color No 27 and the Sanguine is color No 47.

@CeciliaVedberg Thank you – I actually feel like I’ve neglected gesture practice a lot lately so hearing that is reassuring!

@PeihongJiang Thank you – I’m eager to learn anatomy so I can add some beautifully believable bumps to my contours haha.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 12 – I mostly focused on the subtlety of my tones and trying to keep things working together as a whole.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by ZachZach.
    ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

So many posts I’m sorry! My computer was bugging out!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Oh no! My post disappeared!

Day 13 – Focused on blending tones while maintaining the separation between light and dark values. Also realizing the value of seeing your drawing from a different perspective – every time I take a picture of my drawing to post it I look at it on my phone and spot something I need to touch up or adjust for it to read better. It’s becoming a really useful tool haha.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14 – Didn’t have much time today so I only drew an upper arm but I’ll add to this tomorrow haha. Keeping my focus on blending tones while maintaining separation between dark and light values.

André Girão TaufferAndré Girão Tauffer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow Zach! Amazing value studies! On day 12 I feel the overall value in his left shoulder is a bit of as it kind of jumps out of the body or as if his shoulder was darker then the rest of the body. Maybe it was intentional. Anyways, looking forward to seeing your next days, really inspiring challenge 👌🏼

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice drawings Zach! It’s a good idea to focus a certain body part a time.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@ Andre Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback and that’s a great observation! I hadn’t really given that shoulder too much thought to be honest, maybe a darker value would’ve been a better choice to maintain viewer focus on the rest of the torso! I may scan it and play around with that idea digitally, thank you again!

@ ZHI SU Thank you! It’s helping me learn more nuances of that body part for sure! The only risk I’ve found doing that is veering off proportionally, as you’ll notice on today’s study (the shoulder blade).

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 15 – The proportions of this shoulder blade/back compared to the arm feel off to me. I’ve also found myself mistaking the size of the body in comparison to the head, but I guess that’s why we start by drawing lightly so we can adjust later. It was still a fun exercise nonetheless, playing with values and portraying form. I find myself way more analytical of a pose, comparing landmarks horizontally, vertically, and diagonally because I plan on spending a lot of time rendering now.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.