Zach’s 100 Day Challenge: 10 Daily Value Study Thumbnails

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Zach’s 100 Day Challenge: 10 Daily Value Study Thumbnails

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Nice how you’re seeing the shadows as graphic shapes!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7 – Was excited to do more figure drawing because I enjoy it of course and so I could finally finish the first 3 parts of Steve Houston’s Beginner Figure Drawing series.

Again I was focused on grouping the lights and shadows and focusing how they appear on forms found within the figure.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@PaulDidier Thank you buddy! It’s turning out to be really fun to try and design those shapes to be interesting to look at

@JosselineJeria  Haha I give you so much credit for thinking ahead and being realistic with yourself, a lesson I’m slowly learning.

Gnass’ course is wonderful, I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying it. I can relate to your feelings on observational measurement, I’ve never had the desire to try it though I have tried for the sake of studying.

That’s awesome, I’m glad to be one of the many witnesses of your progress! You’re very in tune with your artistic self – do you have any specific painters or paintings that you admire?

My goal right now is to become a skillful 2D animator. I’ve always loved cartoons and animated movies; the emotional stories, the visuals, the amount of life and personality that’s portrayed in the characters. All of that just seems like it would be so much fun. But this pursuit is fairly new, I decided to finally commit to it a few years ago. I always heard people call artists talented rather than skillful and thought you had to start when you were really young to ever reach a professional level. Then I discovered Steve Huston’s videos and he mentioned he didn’t seriously begin pursuing art until his early/mid 20’s too – that changed my perspective and has stuck with me.

Haha thank you! It’s a rough little animation but it has personality to it even though it’s the standard beginner’s animation. For sure he’s an amazing artist and My only resource for learning 2D animation right now. Hopefully I’ll discover more artists who are willing to teach it!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These days are blending together haha. Day 8 – Another figure / light and shadow grouping study.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You are improving FAST.

Try to get more variety into your core shadow. It doesn’t just represent one kind of form. The ribcage is wider and rounder, the hamstring group as it forms the back of the knee is more tense and cylindrical. Try to show this variation of form with your core shadow.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua that means a lot! Understood – will focus more on that tomorrow!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9 – I was a little limited on time today so this doesn’t feel as polished as I would like.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9 – Continued! I wasn’t happy with the results of my drawing – I had plans to play Zoom darts with my brothers and a few friends so I rushed to get my challenge finished up before hand. I had about 30mins left before midnight so I decided to further improve and refine it.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work. Let that core shadow be broken up (by cast shadow or by other means). If it runs through the whole figure so religiously it tends to look like a trick and flatten things out. Also, some of your half tones (tones on light side) are getting too close to the value of the tones in your shadow side. Nothing on the shadow side should be as light as anything on the light side.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Joshua! I tried to be more conscious of the core shadow and half tones today. I think I may try a dark colored pencil next to expand my tone range a bit.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 10 – Another figure study today. I took my time on this one – it feels like I’m finally internalizing the process of drawing a figure!

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by ZachZach.
    casdrawscasdraws
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

<div id=”i4c-draggable-container” style=”position: fixed; z-index: 1499; width: 0px; height: 0px;”>
    <div class=”resolved” style=”all: initial;” data-reactroot=””></div>
    </div>
    Looks good… keep it up.
    <div id=”i4c-dialogs-container”></div>

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Zach, all your recent figure studies are great! It’s nice watching your progress. I have so much admiration for 2D animators, you have to be an incredibly skilled artist and an excellent visual communicator, which is very difficult. What are some of your favourite animated series and movies? There are many artists I’ve heard that started later in life with their artistic pursuits, and were still able to make a fantastic career out of it. You’re more than capable of doinng so, just keep at it! Have you heard of the 3 point perspective podcast? It’s a group of three children’s book illustrators, who  make some super useful content. They have an episode called something like “am I too old to start pursue art?”. they give real solid advice for how you can go about working to develop your career. They’re very business oriented, so most of their episodes have very practical information and advice.

Ah, not in tune enough yet, I just know I love painting and colour, haha. As for artists and artworks, oooooff, that’s so difficult to narrow down. I like everything from abstract expressionism to classical realism. I don’t have a specfic preference for any particular style or genres, mostly seeing art that really taps into the sublime. Van Gogh and Munch are probably my main guys, Repin, Vermeer, Beksinski, Fenske, Cezanne, Margritte, Rembrant, Monet… too many more to mention! Van Gogh’s self portrait and portrait of Eugene Boch at the Orsay are some of the paintings I’ve connected with on a soul level the most. All the Vermeers they had at the Lourve were incredible. Monet’s water lily room at the organerie was breathtakingly beautiful.

For animation there may be some stuff on Schoolism that could be useful.

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you both for the kinds words and encouragement, I really appreciate it!

@JosselineJeria I share that same admiration for painters and one of my favorite things about animation are the beautiful backgrounds! When it comes to picking favorites it’s so tough like you said – I tend to find something I like in every piece of animation. I also still feel like I’m discovering this whole new world so everything is super interesting and exciting.

I‘m a 90’s kid so I grew up on classic Disney animation, some Anime, Looney Tunes, shows on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. Most recently I’ve fallen back in love with Anime partially thanks to a few friends who keep giving me awesome suggestions so my current favorites list is sorta dominated by it haha 🤗 I like the the subtle aesthetic variations within the genre and the way fantasy and realism is intertwined so seamlessly. Princess Mononoke (I love everything about this film but the message is what hits home for me), Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro (the cutest portrayal of young siblings I’ve ever seen in animation), Grave of the Fireflies, The Fox and the Hound (loved this movie as a kid), 101 Dalmatians, the old B&W Mickey Mouse skits, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Demon Slayer, My Hero Academia, Hunter X Hunter, Death Note, and many more! I feel obligated to mention I love 3D animation as well but still have a soft spot for 2D.

Thank you so much every time I hear of an artist beginning later in life it further solidifies my confidence in my pursuit! I’ve never heard of the 3 point perspective podcast but it sounds like quality content, will absolutely check it out tomorrow. I’ve dipped my toe in Schoolism’s offerings but haven’t dived in just yet. You named so many amazing artists and some I’ve never heard of but will definitely be looking up. Oh my gosh you made your rounds in Paris haha so cool – do you remember which Van Gogh painting you saw in-person first? What was that experience like for you? Do you live in France or travel their often? Van Gogh and Munch’s paintings are so beautifully unique I love your taste and can’t wait to see what you create! I’m so excited for your progress you’re going to be an amazing painter Josseline!

ZachZach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 11 – Note to self: learn drapery/clothing. Another figure study grouping light and dark, I added smudges to help with tone which I wasn’t doing before.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 82 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.