Paul’s 2nd 100 Day Challenge Sketchbook Part 2

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Paul’s 2nd 100 Day Challenge Sketchbook Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Great studies, Paul! I particularly like the seated female figure in Day24. What are your references?

kay
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

fantastic!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Kay and David. Appreciate your kind words.

David, the reference for the figure you mentioned on my Day 24 post is from the NMA figure reference. The model is Lillias.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Trying to catch up with some of my posts. I’ve had both of my computers down and/or in the shop.

Here’s Day 25. Pretty minimal post. Just my warmups for that day. Thirty second gestures, sharpie on 18″ x 20″ newsprint.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Day 26. Some quick studies of hyenas. Sharpie on newsprint 18″ x 24″

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi All,
    After not posting for a while I’m going to rededicate myself to this challenge. Been struggling so much with my work after my medical stuff a few months ago, but not sticking with this challenge is not helping. I’ve continued to work at it, but I lost interest in posting my work because I just wasn’t seeing any improvement. I’m going to start by posting many of  these past daily efforts.
    My biggest challenge, in my opinion, this second challenge, is a lack of looseness. This has made my line quality boring and ineffective. I’m STILL battling this. Not sure what the answer is, or even why it’s such a struggle right now. My rehab has helped my pain and lack of mobility, but the stiffness in my drawing is persisting. I’ll just continue to try new things and NOT allow myself to get discouraged.
    In the past, one of my favorite ways to loosen up is to do studies of other artists who are good at gesture and movement. Here’s quick sketches from John Buscema studies I did back on Nov 1.

Day 27

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by PaulDidier.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by PaulDidier.
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 28. Prisma on bond.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Dear Paul, Happy Christmas!

Honestly, if I had a tenth of your talent and looseness I would still count myself very lucky indeed.  Those figures are really beautiful and have a great deal of character and life to them.  I particularly like the figure lifting her right leg and balancing on her left.   Tremendous work!

There was a lady, Susan if I recall, who was doing the pen eye studies on here and gave up around day 30 without much explanation (I think she said life overtook her), and I asked her how she got such lovely flowing lines and her answer was simple – work larger.  I think she was drawing a single eye on a massive sheet of newsprint.  Maybe try that and see if it warms things up?!

Best wishes and keep well,
    David.

p.s. No, I’ve still not started my second challenge or resumed my studies – will do soon!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi David,
    Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I really appreciate it.
    Looking forward to you starting your own second challenge. Possible new year’s resolution?
    I like your suggestion to work large. Most of the last few days I’ve posted were fairly large, on 18″ x 24″ sheets of bond or newsprint, rather than doing sketchbook studies. Working that large usually does help me loosen up, but it’s not been too helpful lately.
    I was so frustrated I decided to do the opposite and did a bunch of small sketches on large sheets of paper. It didn’t help much, but it didn’t hurt either. I’ll post some of them in the next few days. I figure as long as I keep drawing sooner or later I’m bound to reach a comfort point and begin getting more relaxed again. It’s weird, it’s as if there was a nerve or brain pathway disruption after this medical issue. I’ve really never had anything like this kind happen. Maybe when I make it through this I’ll process and draw and paint very differently. Maybe better. I’m optimistic and definitely don’t intend to give up.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 29.

Some gesture studies of Heinrich Kley sketches.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Day 30.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Tried to upload two pages. Nothing posted. Hopefully they won’t double up later. Here goes again. I’ll do separate posts.

Day 31

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Day 31, page 2.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Day 32. Quick sketch studies of drawings by John Buscema and Jim Lee.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Day 33

More studies of John Buscema and Jim Lee drawings.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.