Paul’s 2nd 100 Day Challenge Sketchbook Part 2

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Paul’s 2nd 100 Day Challenge Sketchbook Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)
  • Author
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

I’ve been wanting to do another challenge for quite a while but was struggling with what to focus on. My first challenge was to work in my sketchbook each day using two sketchbooks and alternating between them with gouache one day and graphite or ink the next. I didn’t want to repeat the same challenge but have found that I’m, once again, hardly using sketchbook. I’d hoped to have established the habit after the first challenge, but apparently not.

So, again, working regularly in my sketchbook will be the main objective of this challenge, as will gouache. But I want to incorporate some anatomy studies and to do some more finished renderings rather than the very loose gestural sketches I sort of focused on the first time.

I love gesture, so I will definitely include that, but I’d like to take some of them further this time. Also, I may include some small paintings. Wow, pretty unfocused objectives, but I really want to get going. So, in summary, I guess my 2nd challenge will be;

Primarily continuing to try to work in my sketchbook every day. That will consist primarily of;

1. Sketching regularly in my sketchbook with graphite and ink.
    2. Include some anatomy studies in sketchbook.
    3. Continuing to do gouache renderings, also in my sketchbook, (I hope to do some of the anatomy studies incorporating ink and pencil sketching and gouache).
    4. Taking some sketches and studies to a more finished state.
    5. Possibly adding charcoal and oil and acrylic studies to keep from getting stale.
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 01.

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great sense of action!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Marco. Things got crazy this summer and I haven’t sketched too much. Hoping to loosen up and get back into my sketchbook.

Just checked out your thread. Really nice work! Your work is inspiring!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by PaulDidier.
    PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Day 02.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Awesome! You can add more contrast by picking out her pupils/lashes, nostrils, and mouth corners and darkening them just a tad bit more. Grab a 4,6,8B pencil and push it.

Love this angle too!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Marco. I’d like to take it farther. I have too many partial studies like this one in my sketch books. I’ll definitely make a point of taking some of the farther.

Here’s Day 03.  Still trying to loosen up. I find working in sketchbooks a bit more challenging because of their relatively small size, especially during warmup. I may do some 18 x 24 gesture sketches in Sharpie, ink or Prisma just to get over the “loosening up” hurdle to start.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Great work, Paul!  Good luck with your new challenge.  I’m going to be watching your posts with great interest and pleasure.

Best wishes,
    David.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi David. Thanks, and great to hear from you! Hope all’s well with you. Did you do an additional challenge? I’m afraid I haven’t been checking in with this board the last few months as I’d intended to.

David CarterDavid Carter
    Participant
    100 Day Art Challenge Participant Badge
    No points.

Hi Paul,  All is well.  I haven’t started another challenge yet – I’ve just moved house (again!), but this time it’s for good.  Just finding my feet here which is going to take some time (it’s a bit of a renovation project out in the boonies!)  I feel humbled to see your efforts and all the other wonderful artists.  I’m not sure what my next challenge will be – something simple like everyday objects.

Good luck!

Cheers,

David.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 04.
    Tried working larger, (18″ x 24″) with Sharpie. Helped a bit with getting looser. I’ll probably do more of these.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Loving the looseness and moods expressed here!

1. Double-check your proportions (head, torso). I know gesture is a battle between that initial essence and accuracy. Steve says to err on the side of having a small head and then having a long body. I like that you emphasized the form of the ribcage with those lines, but it could be a bit clearer by reeeally wrapping those lines properly around the cylinder.
    2. Keep within a 2-value system. It’s good to add cores when possible but it can also busy-up your drawing at times. Keep that simplicity and read all the way through. I like how you ‘boxed’ the hips. 😉
    3. Starred ones: Nothing to add. Just really like these. 🙂

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Marco. I appreciate your taking the time to point out specific places that need work. It’s very helpful.

It seems when I’m relaxed, and draw more loosely, I have much less difficulty with proportions. Things just flow.

Here’s Day 05. Still struggling to loosen up.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 06.

In an effort to loosen up I decided to do some Heinrich Kley studies. He’s simply amazing.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Here’s Day 07.
    I took the drawings from Day 01 and decided to work over one of them in gouache. I’ve never used gouache on top of graphite that’s been applied this heavily to a drawing and I wasn’t sure if it would dissolve in the gouache or if the gouache would kind of float on top. So I spray fixed the top half of the first drawing to see if that made a difference in how the gouache went down. I couldn’t tell that it made any difference.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.