Basics of Oil Paintings

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Basics of Oil Paintings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    New Masters AcademyNew Masters Academy
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

If you are interested in learning how to paint the portrait in oils, you will need to know your materials from which brushes to buy, and how mediums work, to how to stretch your own canvases and prepare your wood panels. In this lesson, renowned painter Joseph Todorovitch will teach you how to make your first brush strokes, how to mix a value scale, and how to set yourself for success as a painter. Joseph will also share a slideshow of his beautiful work and help you understand what you need to know as a portrait painter.

christine
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, i m new here. i cant go and buy mineral spirit but I have some brush cleaner (winstor & newton) . can i use it to do the wash and paint like in your demo? thx

Jonathan Criner
    Participant
    No points.

Is this course good for zero painting experience, or should a student take one of the basic painting courses first?  Also, could it be done with acrylics (is there that much difference, other than the drying time and paint consistency)?  I don’t really have a space ventilated for oils as I understand the requirement.  Thanks!

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Christie, the purpose of the exercise is to teach to both work with diluted paint (rub-out) and with thick direct application. So if the brush cleaner is giving you a similar result as what you see on screen, it’s fine.

Jonathan, as long as you have the drawing fundamentals under your belt this class is great as a first step into painting. You could also take Charles Hu or Steve Huston’s intro painting courses before or or alongside this one. If you can’t get ventilation there are products out there like Winsor & Newton Artisan Water Mixable Oil Colour that supposedly don’t require ventilation and are totally non toxic.

christine
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua for your prompt reply!

Jonathan Criner
    Participant
    No points.

Joshua,

Thanks for the reply.  I had seen the W&N water mixable oils, but saw some bad reviews (they tend to show up dried up like watercolor cakes?), and I am also looking at a still life course in acrylic, so went ahead and grabbed some acrylics.  I need to work on facial drawings before I dive into this class anyway (taking Iliya’s Russian drawing courses for that) but I’ll look at the local stores here and see if they have the mixables that I can look at before buying, or possibly buy in the Zorn pallet individually this winter in oils, when I expect to have more time to devote to practice and it would be cool enough I could set up in my garage if needed.

Thanks again.

Jonathan

christine
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Joshua, me again!  I got a few meters of linen canvas . Do I absolutely need to stretch it on a frame before applying oil painting or can I simply staple the fabric on a wooden board and have my finished painting framed later?  Is there any inconvenience in doing the 1st method?   Thank you.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

You don’t need to stretch the canvas. For example in this series for the lectures we have the canvas just clipped to a drafting table.

christine
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great. Thx you!

Richard Steinberger
    Participant
    No points.

Just watching the first segments, this looks like it’s going to be a great course. Should mention that Rosemary (very unfortunately) no longer makes brushes with natural Mongoose.

Rick

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Richard, good to know. Thank you.

Hanane Chraibi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, thanks for this interesting course. I can’t get water mixable oil paint in my country, could I fellow the different steps   with acrylic paint. Thanks again.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hanane,

The course is not recommending water soluble but oil paints. You can use any paints even paint digitally.

Yael Kane
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello!

What drawing course would you recommend to take in order to have the drawing fundamentals needed for this course? In one of the videos it said “see our ‘From Paper to Canvas’ course”, but that doesn’t show up when I search.

Thank you,

Yael

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hello Yael, the From Paper to Canvas Course will be released very soon! In the mean time, we have an excellent selection of beginner friendly head drawing courses. I have linked 3 of these courses below

https://www.nma.art/courses/constructive-head-drawing/

https://www.nma.art/courses/the-frank-reilly-drawing-method/

https://www.nma.art/courses/head-drawing-for-entertainment-arts/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.