Basics of Oil Paintings

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Courses & Lessons Discussion Basics of Oil Paintings

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Yael Kane
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you!

Mark Sta Ana
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

What oil ground is used when he is preparing the panel what brand specifically? I think I missed it

Maria Tee
    Participant
    No points.

I can’t find the 50% gray Basics acrylic paint to coat the back of the glass palette — would that be the same as Basics Neutral Gray No. 5? https://www.liquitex.com/us/products/basics/range/colors/

chris joneschris jones
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Todorovitch is a master artist and an amazing and thorough teacher. This course is a wealth of information on materials and processes. Bravo!

Ereka Redulla
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I don’t have the opportunity to use solvents, will it work if I use linseed oil to thin paints? Will it make my work very fat early and how does it affect when painting portraits?

Abbas Minira
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi

I am not damn good with drawing but i know Andrew loomis method and rielly method and i can draw portrait in any angle and i hv tried painting as well but the problem with me is underpainting i mean how to draw accurately in painting and second mixing the right colour … When ever i finish portrait painting its looks like a bit out of proportion and not getting the desire likeness of the subject… And it takes lots of time to finish even small size painting and drain out all the fun .

So is this course will be helpful or i should take another course before this one .. please help

Eric SczukaEric Sczuka
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The rubber wedge tool he shows can be found at dick blick. They are known as catalyst blades.

Abbas Minira
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ereka Redulla
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

mine looks muddy and my proportion looks off

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Ereka Redulla.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Ereka Redulla. Reason: grammar
    Jill Reichenbach
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, is there a big difference between acrylic brushes and oil brushes? Is it necessary to buy oil brushes to get the same effect?

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Jill, my understanding is that oil brushes are designed to hold up against terpenoids while acrylic brushes are designed to work with water.
    I know some artists that use acrylic brushes for oil, but they tend to fall apart, and you get bristles in the paint.
    So yes you can use acrylic brushes, but its not recommended, especially for prolonged painting periods

Shohreh Abdolrahimi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Could you please comment a little bit more about using acrylic colour instead of oil for following this class. I really can’t start the oil now, I have no ventilation and space. Would it work?

Aliona Katzman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi! I saw the similar question here, but  didn’t find the answer. Can I use water-mixable oil in this course?

Zoe Downing
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi there!  I’m wondering if it’s okay to use oil paint directly out of the tube on top of a fatty layer, such as a glaze.

I understand the general fat over lean rule, but what about in this case? I’m new to working with glazes, and I want to bring back some of my highlights by applying titanium white to the areas that got a little too dark after a glaze was applied. If I do that without adding any medium (I’m using liquin) will that promote cracking later in time?

Thanks so much for any insight.

Daniel DaigleDaniel Daigle
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Hi Zoe, I asked one of my team members who paints, and he had this to say:

“Yes that should be fine. They are using a fast drying alkyd as for glazing so that layer will be dry by the time the paint that is being used for the highlights will dry because it is slower drying (straight from the tube).”

So if I understand, as long as the bottom layer drys first, you should be ok.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.