Nick’s 100 Day Challenge Hands & Figure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Nick’s 100 Day Challenge Hands & Figure

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 55

Hand gestures, then spent time experimenting with hatching on this one.

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hiya Nick. In terms of value, you can just stick to using 2 (black and white). No need to confuse and burden yourself with 4988274 values. Sean Cheetham made a good point of using a 2-value system and mentioned Bansky as an example. His graffiti art reads because it’s all shape and two values.

Woooah! That’s a super foreshortened finger!

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good points! I’ll work on that for a bit. I feel like I’m still working on getting one consistent value, so that alone’ll be good practice.

Tried to stick to 2 values today and spent less time on proportions / measurement. It’s tough to not try to add a third value – most of this pose was in shadow, so if I did it again I think I’d put more in the darker value

Day 56:

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Traveling, so phone quality photo. Focused on grouping lights and darks to two values and keeping an even tone

Day 57

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 58

Happy Halloween!

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 59

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 60

Same approach, just finished with the Sarah poses and moving on to Barry.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hola Nick,

For that Halloween figure, the bottom buttcheek, I would’ve shaded it entirely. I think that light is following the cylinder of the leg (?), but it could just be a large simplified mass shade. Don’t feel obligated to the lighting of your reference. Make clear what you can.

I’m liking how even your tones are. I gotta practice that. 😛 Go, go!

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ah great advice – that makes sense! I’ve started to see where editing the contours and lines a bit can help clarify, but haven’t thought much about it for the value shapes. Will see how I can apply that to figures and the hands 🙂

Day 61

Today I finally got to the first exercise in Steve Huston’s hands course – quite the journey already. This was a series of 1, 2, 5, and 10 minute drawings. I definitely struggled with the shorter poses, just getting the angles of all of the fingers in a hand seems like it takes more than a minute. Excited to see Steve’s approach in the next videos – hopefully tonight!

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 62

Focusing on simplifying shadow shapes

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 63

Didn’t get a chance to watch the follow ups to the first hands assignment yet. Just a practice today.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 64

Had some trouble submitting earlier, but here’s day 64 – just more practice!

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 65

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 66

For the last few days I’ve been trying to move a little more quickly and rely less on measurement. I’ve been warming up with either 1 minute hand or figure poses (depending on the day) to get i nthe mindset of simplifying curves and shadow shapes. Generally I think that’s helping, I don’t think I get much from spending tens of minutes on details if the gesture / lay in wasn’t very good. I’m hoping once we can go back to in-person classes I can get into some live sessions and get more out of them 🙂

Today I got some weird proportions in the legs by not measuring as carefully. Also avoided the face for now, don’t want to get lost in the details.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Wow! Awesome updates Nick! Keep at it!

Love those hands on the four bottom panel of day 61. For Day 63, I probably would’ve shaded that cut of light where the pinky/ring fingers touch. Again, all about simplicity and making things clear. For Day 65, at the wrist, that half-circle in light, is that a tendon (snuff box)? Either, it could be shaded in, following the mass conception of the palm of the hand (box) or shaded as if following the mass conception of the egg-shaped thenar of the thumb.

Day 66, holy shit! Not an easy pose! Great execution on this one!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.