Nick’s 100 Day Challenge Hands & Figure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Nick’s 100 Day Challenge Hands & Figure

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 41

Struggling with motivation and frustration in general this week – I blame the weather! Very late today, but to me the most important thing is still getting at least 15 minutes every day. Did 10x 1 minute hand gestures to warm up, then chose this one from the set to draw for longer.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 42

Been slow going on lessons, will hopefully pick back up on that tonight. Back to figures this morning!

• Contours of the torso ended up straighter than the gesture which lost the nice repeated S curve of the spine
    • Hands – could make sense of her right hand although it doesn’t quite “feel” like it’s pressed into the ground and supporting her weight. Angle of the arm contributes to that, and hands should be flattened more in perspective. That along with her left hand – will need to find some references of hands w/ palms pressed into the ground

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 43

After yesterday’s pose, I wanted to spend some time on hands that were flattened – or the medial / lateral views I’ve seen in a lot of poses. With so little of each separate finger visible (especially when the medium doesn’t support small details) they start to look just like straight sticks instead of bony fingers.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 44

Just trying to keep up with perspective on this one!

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 45

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 46

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 47

Warmed up with some hand gestures and decided to draw this one. Thinking about simplifying to a few values, simple C or S curves for contours. Need to keep in mind the thickness of fingers – connections of these make them seem very narrow in some places.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 48

Thinking about overlaps, and another foreshortened hand in this pose.

This time I tried to draw the palm as a foreshortened flattened box first and then add the overlaps.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 49

Working on references with both hands to practice relating them to each other. Today I was interested in the overlap of the right hand in front of the left.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 50, halfway through!

At first I thought this was way too long to go through the hands lessons, but I’m still working through them (still on Steve Huston’s master studies). I haven’t been very diligent with lessons in the last couple weeks, so this daily practice is my lifeline to keeping things in memory. Will try to do better this next week!

50 days in, I feel a lot more comfortable with the anatomy and general structure of a hand. For the full body poses, even with reference sometimes it’s hard to tell how a hand is positioned. Focusing on just the hands has helped with imaging some of the missing details or just making sense of a lower-resolution / smaller reference. I’m also appreciating that even when drawing from observation, it helps to “edit” or reposition things so the idea is clearer.

I still don’t have a good control of rendering. E.g. for today’s pose, I’m getting better at observing shadows midtones and highlights, but I can’t render them very convincingly – especially midtones with the charcoal.

All told though it’s really satisfying to go back through this thread and think about the challenges each day!

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 51

Not much to today – just drawing, taking a break from thinking critically.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 52

Oof, I tried this one four different times and I just could not get the proportions to look right. Tried starting from careful measurement and starting from a looser gesture, neither approach is working for me today. Oh well, moving on – I’ll stick this in the folder of poses I want to try again when I think I’ve gotten better. Here’s the last attempt from today:

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 53

Left the charcoal pencil dull today and played with the softer / darker lines. This one was fun, a lot of gesture!

• Little off on the proportion of the index finger. Proximal phalanx should be longer
    • Didn’t know how to get the texture of the hair on the arm

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, I would ignore texture/hair/detail in general. Just stick to focusing on the gesture and structure of things. 😉

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Marcolino! Thanks for the reminder 🙂 That had been my plan up front but it’s so easy to get distracted – will get back to it!

On Structure – I’d also planned not to focus on value for now, but I’ve found the drawings look really flat without any. Today I tried to stick to 3 values but I’m not great at consistent values.

Here’s day 54:

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.