Nick’s 100 Day Challenge Hands & Figure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Nick’s 100 Day Challenge Hands & Figure

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the feedback, Marcolino! The specific notes (and encouragement!) help so much 🙂

For Day 63, I probably would’ve shaded that cut of light where the pinky/ring fingers touch

If I remember right, this one was a gap between the pinky / ring fingers – but yeah, it makes a weird silhouette. I like the suggestion to merge the shape – or maybe moving the pinky down (so there’s no overlap / it has a clear silhouette)

For Day 65, at the wrist, that half-circle in light, is that a tendon (snuff box)?

Exactly, was going for the tendon there – like the idea of merging it with the thenar eminence and making that more egg shaped.

Here’s today – Day 67.

I went through Assignment 2 in the Steve Huston lessons. I like the short poses better than the long poses today – for the 10, I rushed the gesture and lay in and it ended up with weird proportions and sloppier linework

Marcolino EstuardoMarcolino Estuardo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hah I like these fists. There’s a thrust to them. I’m actually on Steve’s Hands/Arm chapter from his book. I’ll share my take on them soon!

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Sweet, can’t wait to see it!

Day 68

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 69

There’s a lot of shadow in this one – trying to simplify the shapes but also make overlaps clear.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Noticing your work from the Forum front page. 🙂

Double-check your proportions for the finger segments. Also, try and figure out how you can simplify the area between the thumb and index finger. Wrinkles add too much busy info here.

Day 70! You’re almost there!

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 70

One more month 🙂

Double-check your proportions for the finger segments. Also, try and figure out how you can simplify the area between the thumb and index finger. Wrinkles add too much busy info here.

Thanks! I’ve noticed that a lot of (quick sketch) hand drawings leave out the nails as well, and when I’ve added them they seem over-emphasized.

Feel like my proportions and perspective have gotten a little lazier too as I try to work closer to the time constraints from the exercises. E.g. for today’s, tilt of the pelvis seems off and proportions are iffy in general. Will focus on that the next few days!

Participant
    No badges. No points.

What are your usual time constraints?

Heed the advice of Huston where he says “Don’t try and finish. You’ll fail miserably. Do as much as you can in the time given”, paraphrasing here. haha.

If it’s proportional issues, then maybe take the time to study that certain area. Take another 10 mins after this pose and explore the tilt of the pelvis some more. But you already you’ll focus on all that next! Sooooo go!

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Depends on the day – usually I warm up for 10 minutes or so, then end up with a half hour or so for the day’s drawing before I need to get ready for work.

If it’s proportional issues, then maybe take the time to study that certain area. Take another 10 mins after this pose and explore the tilt of the pelvis some more

Makes sense! When you’re exploring a specific area, you mean like smaller studies on the page? Once in awhile I’ve tried it especially for master studies – I usually have trouble losing the surrounding context. I’ll try out making 10 minutes at the end and choosing something to do in a smaller study.

Here’s Day 71 – main focus on proportion

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yeah, smaller studies next to the original. Look up the drawings of Da Vinci, Michelangelo, and Pontormo.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Here is Pontormo studying the neck. Del Sarto changing the arm and even placing clothing over it.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Here, Michelangelo is trying to figure out the leg.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Ah these are always incredible to look at – cool, sounds like a plan!

Day 72

Just trying out the above – gave myself 20 minutes on a timer to just try the figure. Then took some time to compare and think about what was challenging or didn’t seem to go well – then took another 10 minutes to focus in on that. Just like the last one, thinking about the tilt of the pelvis.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is great! The small drawing definitely shows some improvement. Don’t be afraid to leave in your construction lines/draw-through. Reaaaally feel out those forms being made/connected/etc.

nick.lagrownick.lagrow
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks 🙂 I’ll keep at it – I think taking a step back and then focusing on one thing helps. Otherwise I’ll notice what looks wrong, but then be done for the day / not revisit it until another day.

Day 73

Couple things I considered working on – the wrist connection of the hand in back doesn’t make sense (arm is too thin / thumb doesn’t work). But this pose had a lot of interlocking fingers, so I wanted to work on those overlaps

Participant
    No badges. No points.

Cool. The interlocking works here and is successful. The shade blocking the forms definitely helps in making things clear and simple.

Thumb looks fine. Wrist could be a bit thin? Maybe a perspective issue?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.