Ian’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Faces, People, and Places

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Ian’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Faces, People, and Places

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The dedication and creativity on display on this forum are truly inspiring! 

I’m here to build my general illustration skills – starting out with head and figure studies and then moving to landscapes and figures in environments.

It’s an ongoing challenge to ritualize visual art practice into my daily routine – so this seems like a perfect part of the NMA community to get involved with.

I’ve been delaying my posts to come up with a challenge that is not too confining… so I’m posting my practice for the past week to get started.

For media, I’ll be switching between learning watercolor, pen/ink, and digital.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day creating!!! 🙂

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 1 | Mark Westermoe: The Portrait in Watercolor | Paint-along with Mark

Watercolor Portrait 1

This is my first watercolor portrait.

I think I’ve been doing too much digital painting, and I find myself unprepared for the necessary patience and forethought that this medium requires!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Ian Coltman.
    Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 1-2 | Mark Westermoe: The Portrait in Watercolor | Homework 1-3 – Reference: Angelique

Angelique in Watercolor

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 3-5 | Mark Westermoe: The Portrait in Watercolor | Homework 4-9 – References: Aryiel, Dorian

Aryiel and Dorian Studies

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6 | Mark Westermoe: The Portrait in Watercolor | Paint-along with Mark 2

Bald Guy

I feel like the last week of practice with the thumbnail studies has provided a little more control over this paint-along. I’m hoping I can clean some of the mud my next round as I go along!

I am really liking this medium despite the challenges. The colors offer so many possibilities!!

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 3-7 | Mark Westermoe: The Reilly Method | Facial Abstract Mapping

Reilly Abstract

These are digital draw-overs in Clip Studio Paint. I did a couple of these a few days ago and more today.

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

the water-colours look great man 🙂 good job.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey thanks! That means a lot. I have been admiring your thread for a couple of weeks now!

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Ian some lovely work on this thread!

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 7-8 | Facial Expression Studies

Screams

These are digital sketches in prep for my next watercolor portrait homework round. References were googled.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

awh thanks dude. i’ve alot to learn yet though xD. expressions also look good 🙂 have u been doing this long if u dont mind me asking?

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yeah, I dropped out of art school in the late 90s and hung up my brush for a career in digital communications and design.

Except for a small stint of artwork created during while attaining my architecture degree, I have regrettably let my drawing and painting skills rot over two decades.

So, twenty years on, and I still have dreams of being a competent illustrator… maybe a midlife crisis… but not a bad one to have, I guess.

I started attending a local figure drawing studio here in Portland Oregon regularly late last year and am attempting a “hard reset” on my art education… going back through all the anatomy stuff, perspective, etc.

My 5-year goal is to serviceably illustrate some sci-fi ideas I have bouncing around in my head in the spirit of Simon Stahlenhag’s books… but I’ve got pretty far to climb to get there. lol. He’s a great painter / concept artist.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Continuing to work on watercolor studies today.

I also experimented earlier with the animation functions in Procreate… I tried to post but I guess animated gifs don’t work. 🙁

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 8-9 | Mark Westermoe: The Portrait in Watercolor | Homework 10-11 – Reference: Monika

Monika

The right panel was particularly challenging with the face in shadow. I’m stopping here before I destroy what’s left of this.

I intend to try some monochrome panels to focus on using fewer strokes with greater value contrasts.

Participant
    No badges. No points.

thats awesome man i wish you the best of luck with that…but shouldnt be a problem if u stay consistent, you’ve already got some skills…im kinda similar although only 24, however i wish i wasnt so dumb as a teenager and kept up the art more consistently, oh well thats life i guess, its never to late though 🙂 uve inspired me to give some watercolour a try so i went out and bought some watercolour pencils and an aqua brush  today 😀 ill have to check that dude out

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.