Ian’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Faces, People, and Places

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Ian’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Faces, People, and Places

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

I really like the ink sketches of Scott, especially Day 88.  Good stuff. Keep workin’.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey Erik… thanks, man! I appreciate that very much! Some days I might be overdoing it… but I’ll be done in less than two weeks… I wish I could say I was going to Disneyland, but I’ll be moving houses right when this is over. I’ll try to keep drawing every day though.

Day 90 | Game Night – reference: Todd Hido photograph

More loose experimentation with ink and watercolor. The perspective work is lacking but I stuck with it for a moody exploration.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

I really like the overall mood and look of this.

As far as the perspective, it looks like there is not a clear horizon line and vanishing points in which things converge.  Also, it is really difficult to make two rectangular objects like cars rotate and still relate to each other.  You have to use the station point and change the right  and left vanishing points by the same number of degrees from that spot.  Erik Olsen has some great lessons on that.  Might be a little too involved for what you were trying to accomplish.  Also, there looks like there in another object between the garage door and the car in front of the garage, but it is unclear what that is.  It also throws you off because the car looks like it is right up against the house and there wouldn’t be room for something else in there.

Overall nice job.  Well done.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the perspective advice Erik!

I need to do some more mindful perspective practice with an easier subject I think.

Day 91 | Ink Portrait Panes – references: Vanna, Diana

I’m hoping to complete a sketchbook page that includes a pane for each NMA model… the goal for each pane is to balance graphic quality and likeness while reducing and refining my strokes.

I’m doing layins with diluted black ink in the Falcon, then going over with washable Muji black gel ballpoints, and adding black punch with Pigma brush markers. Some highlights / minor corrections are done with a white gel pen.

I’m debating whether to include some duo-tone panes with colored ink or stick with the mono palette.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

I really like the second drawing. Great separation of 3 big value shapes.  How big are these drawings?

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Erik!

To answer your question,  these panes are about 2 1/2″ wide.

Day 92 | Warmup portrait 1 – references: Angelique

I’ve been preoccupied with moving duties, and never really got out of warm-ups on Monday.

This sketch and the next couple were on a practice piece of bristol paper with various pens (fountain, Pigma, Muji).

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 92 | Warmup portrait 2 – reference: Patrick

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 92 | Warmup portrait 3 – reference: Carlotta

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 93 | Amina – reference: Amina

Too busy with moving stuff to really engage in focused drawing on Tuesday… I sat down and hastily did this one to keep coasting pace.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 94 | Rajiv – reference: Rajiv

Another busy day on Wednesday… worked late last night to make sure I had something done… experimenting with an erasable Prismacolor pencil layin.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 95 | “5 More Days!?!?”– reference: Rajiv

Did this in the middle of the night.

Violet Prismacolor Col-erase pencil,  3 Noodler’s Ahabs with CMY ink scheme, Pigma FB & MB, Muji 0.35 Ballpoint Liner, Muji 0.7 Polycarb Ballpoint, water on Bristol paper.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 96 | Serge’s Bender – reference: Serge

I had some extra time on Friday so I did two full-color experiments.

This one is Prismacolor Col-erase Purple, Ahab fountains pens, dip-pen/G-nib, colored inks, Pigma FB, Pigma MB, and water on bristol paper.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 96 | “So much to do, so little time!!!” – reference: Rajiv

This one is Prismacolor Col-erase Purple, Ahab fountains pens, dip-pen/G-nib, colored inks, Pigma FB, Pigma MB, and water on Strathmore 400 paper.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 97 | Keith Caricature – reference: Keith Morrison

My art studio and computer workstation were packed up… so this was my weekend entry on the iPad.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 98-100 | The Painted Keith – reference: Keith Morrison

I’m at the point in my move where I’m living out of boxes between two residences.

Confined to the iPad, I decided to attempt my first digital painting in over 80 days. My approach and speed have improved substantially, and I am happy with the results of my 100 days challenge. It was a great experience!

The main goal of my challenge was to establish daily drawing and painting practice while developing some material approaches I can carry forward.

I haven’t decided whether to do another challenge yet, but am pondering a more regimented approach for a second one if I do.

I wish I could have finished some of my lofty project goals, but my family moving duties and the need for more fundamental drawing practice took precedent this time.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.