Ian’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Faces, People, and Places

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Ian’s 100-Day Art Challenge: Faces, People, and Places

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 27 | Ballpoint Pen Draped Figure Practice – Reference: Lillias

Lillias Draped

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 28-30 | Gouache Draped Figure Experiment – Reference: Lillias

Lillias Draped

This is my first experiment painting in gouache. I’ve used a white gouache tube with some watercolors over the past few weeks… but I actually used a few gouache paint colors for this one. Had to call it quits after 3 sessions, but got a better feel for some of the paint application. Hoping to pick up a little speed for the next one!

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

these look bloody great man 😀

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31 | Pen & Gouache Boxer  Sketch – Reference: Bridgette

Bridgette

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Roams! 🙂

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 32-33 | Ballpoint Pen Boxer Figure Practice – Reference: Bridgette

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 34| Watercolor & Gouache Boxer Figure Practice – Reference: Bridgette

I decided to paint these for more practice painting figures and drapery. The stars and stripes pattern in combination with the folds are providing an interesting painting challenge.

I’ll spend one more session on it and see how far I get.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35 | Watercolor & Gouache Boxer Figure Practice – Reference: Bridgette

I’m going to take another day with this because I feel like I’m continuing to learn from this spread. Trying to see if I can solidify this kinda overly complex grouping into a functional composition… Also trying to work some complementary color relationships.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 36-38 | Watercolor & Gouache Boxer Figure Practice – Reference: Bridgette

Bridgette Final

Wound up going down a rabbit hole on this one… but I had fun and learned a ton. I’m hoping to reduce my strokes / and more quickly arrive at my final colors. I do like working with a few poses at once, and will be looking at a trio for the next figure painting. Before that, I want to start to paint some simple environments as practice for a later combination with the figure.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 39-42 | Watercolor & Gouache Environment Study – Reference: Todd Hido photographs

I’m a big fan of Todd Hido’s early photography career… so I thought it would be fun to use some of his photos as vehicles for color and vernacular study.

These are my first tries with watercolor and gouache, and I’m finding this craft paper requires some extra time to build up the paint.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 43-44 | Watercolor & Gouache Environment Study – Reference: Todd Hido photographs

Frustrated with the effort and paint required to build up the highlight areas, I started this one with an acrylic treatment of white and cadmium yellow in the primary bright zone.

ZHI SUZHI SU
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

“Frustrated with the effort and paint required to build up the highlight areas” – I totally understand what you are talking about. The acrylic treatment method is pretty smart. I may give it a try. Sometimes it helps to leave the underpainting dry thoroughly – overnight, bone dry, and come back with lots of pigment and little water.

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Zhi. Thank you so much for dropping in!

The acrylic under-strokes still required a bit of opaque paint along the fringes to pull off. I did notice that the acrylic seems to have greater reflective quality than subsequent overcoating of additional gouache whites – one thing that is nice is that you can easily wipe off any overcoating with a wet rag or q-tip to get your pure white highlight back.

Cheers! 🙂

Ian Coltman
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Days 45-47 | Watercolor & Gouache Figure Spread – Reference: Aryiel

Attempted to shave off the time required to do another figure spread with a more graphic approach with Pigma brush liners and watercolor/gouache.

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Ian! This is awesome! Seems like you got the head structure under control. Really liked the composition you did with the boxer.

Great stuff, keep up the good work!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.