Deborah’s 100 Days of People and Perspective Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Deborah’s 100 Days of People and Perspective Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah,

at least I’m not the only one having problems seeing and applying the learned even if you think you understood the principles behind it. I know that can get kind of frustrating 😅

What I often find useful is to try to find the cause of the errors, therefore going backwards.

Don’t get me wrong I think continuing on a drawing and trying to fix it can be really  helpful but at least for me finding a structural mistake in a more advanced stage of a drawing is a sign, especially if I noticed similar mistakes in multiple drawings, that I’m probably moving to fast or are getting impatient at some point. (Not that I would imagine you as being impatient 😅)

In that case I find two things to be really helpful. First if you noticed multiple errors in your last drawing just try it again with the same reference. This time you got the advantage of knowing what to look out for.

Second try to carefully observe every step of your usual process (for example through a short break after every step to revisit it with fresh eyes) to pin point at which stage these mistakes happen. That way it’s much easier to figure out what’s causing them and how to fix them.

Just keep at it, I’m sure as soon as you figured that stuff out your work will improve enormously 👍👋

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Christopher,

You’re absolutely right. The way my brain works, there’s no value in my just trying things without figuring out what’s not working. Stepping away from that drawing was necessary. Often I find that my best problem solving happens whilst away from my drawing altogether, and usually when I’m out walking or driving. I’ll mull things over and solutions will often come to me then. The eyes on that face were also pretty small, so today I’ve done these eyes larger, starting with the eyeball and building around it in much the same way I’ve been starting with the skull to build the heads. It will take a lot more practice, but I see a little more clearly what I need to do (no pun intended 😅!).

Day 29: Searching for answers today.

D Harback 029

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Debbie H.
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice work Deborah 🙂. It’s great how you show that the eye is usually at a much more extreme angle in profile views than most people realize. I still need to work on getting it right.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Bryan 🙂. Yes, there are so many tiny puzzle pieces that make a bigger difference than I could have realised before starting all of this.

Day 30: The mouth from the Planes of the Head 3D Model. Breaking something like the head down into small elements helps me to understand them better than when I just set out to draw the whole thing.
    D Harback 030

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31: More perspective work today. This first photo I’ve included because I found this a really surprising and useful solution. Hopefully it can help someone else too.
    D Harback 031a

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31b: also useful to know.

D Harback 031b

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 31c: beginning work on a 2PP room

D Harback 031c

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 32: My progress on this was foiled today by my misplacing my Apple Pencil partway through the day 😫. I’m always so careful with where I put it, so anyway, this will have to do for today. I’ll keep looking… 😅

D Harback 032

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 33: Found it! I’ve decided to stop here with this one. I’m stopping halfway, but it’s taught me the objectives of the lesson and what I need to know for now. It’s also different from the lesson, so pushing my own thinking and solutions. I want to keep pushing on with the coursework. It’s a jumble of construction work, so don’t feel you have to try and make sense of it 🙂.
    D Harback 033

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah. As always, I love your study pages. I also really liked how you approached studying the eye a few days ago, and since I’m learning how to draw the eye structure too, your notes gave me useful insights and helped me see the parts more clearly.
    You’re doing a great job!

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Isabella 🙂. I’m glad it was helpful, though it was pretty scrappy.

Day 34: I wish I didn’t have to post this because today was very busy and so this is very quick and scrappy too. I’ve just begun the hands course and these are the beginnings of notes from the first lecture.

D Harback 034

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Deborah, I have read through some of your many posts which I find inspirational! In this last post I can see a better way I might follow along with the lectures, as you have done. I have recently started a figure drawing challenge and your work, along with others in this group has encouraged me to begin!

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Debra (nice name 😉!). I’m glad that you feel encouraged to begin. The main goal from my point of view is to learn. Sometimes that looks pretty, often times not! As long as the information is sinking in. Enjoy your journey 🙂.

Day 35: Completed study notes from Kamille Corry’s ‘Introduction to the Structure of the Hand.’

D Harback 035

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 35b: Notes page 2

D Harback 035b

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 36: More lecture notes, from Steve Huston this time.

D Harback 036

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.