Deborah’s 100 Days of People and Perspective Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Deborah’s 100 Days of People and Perspective Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 162 total)
  • Author
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These look very good Deborah 🙂

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Bryan 🙂.

Day 22: Measuring and referencing planes and a cube in 2 point perspective.

I exported Procreate’s time lapse video of a couple of these perspective drawings, but they export on their sides, turned 90 degrees. Also, the exported jpeg picture quality is pretty blurry. Does anyone know how to fix these issues? Thanks 🙂

D Harback 022

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Debbie H.
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah,

Yes I’m really interested in learning watercolour aswell as gouache. I don’t know if it is purely because of the unhealthy components/materials of oil paint but until now I never been interested in that. On the other hand I like the possible expressiveness of watercolour aswell as the feeling/the challenge of taming the beast or trying to control the uncontrollable if you want to do more precise work with it.

I like your nose/mouth drawings because I think you can clearly see how you tried to implement your knowledge of the planes. But I do have the feeling that the front view looks like the nose is pushed slightly inwards? But I don’t know why 😅

Oh and if it’s about perspective you totally passed me. I’m still at the one point lectures because I haven’t continued  the course recently 😅

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Christopher,

I believe watercolour is a bit of a beast. People talk a lot about how difficult it is. A challenge is enjoyable though, and we both seem to be of the more precise variety of artist 🙂. Thanks for your feedback about the nose. Is it possibly just that I haven’t taken the rendering to completion and therefore it isn’t popping off the page like it could? I’ll measure it again in case.

Day 23: Measuring depth and creating a plank and cube in 2 point perspective. This was fun. It’s a good idea to take notes on this stuff – it’s going to be easy to forget.
    D Harback 023

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

…I’ve just re-read my post – did that sound bad? When I say I’m precise, I don’t mean skilled, I just mean I enjoy doing detail. Sorry!

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 24: Back to head drawing from the 3D model today. I’ll finish this tomorrow. I’m finding this an informative way to understand the building up of the head; trying to put pieces of the puzzle together bit by bit.
    D Harback 024

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 25: Rendering. I’ve deliberately left the skull lines because in this case I wanted the process to show.

D Harback 025

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice work Deborah. You are getting so good at rendering with a pencil. When I do a quick glance at this one, there is maybe something a bit off about the chin? I’m not an expert of course, but that’s the impression that I got. Keep up the good work 🙂.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Nice job Deborah.  You are really showing some great improvement!  Keep it up!!  One thing  I did notice (and you might not be done yet), but the upper lip is a down plane, so it should be a little darker over all.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Great work here as usual. When you’re drawing the features or anything really, focus on establishing the correct amount of roundness. The tendency is to flatten things out in picture space.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Bryan 🙂. You’re right – the chin needed tonal refinement. I hope this is starting to look better?

Thanks for pointing that out Erik 👍🏻. Much appreciated. It probably still needs to go a touch darker.

Thank you for taking the time to do this for me Joshua. It was really helpful. Have I understood you by the changes I’ve made so far? Conceptually I do, but on execution?

Day 26: Working on refinements from all of your helpful comments. I only got as far as the face plane today. I’ll continue to refine the rendering over the whole form tomorrow, so if there are more structural improvements to make, I’m grateful for the feedback. Thanks everyone.

D Harback 026

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Improvement but I still can’t see the down plane of the upper lid. If we’re below her looking up (the ear to brow relationship suggests that) I expect to see that. Even if we are more level to her we will probably see some of that down plane.

The issue is that the corners of the face are often obscured by the most projecting parts (the vertical center line).

You need to know exactly where the far side corner of the mouse brow eye etc are even if you can’t see them because the center of the nose or mouth is blocking.

You need to imagine the far side as you draw. So whenever you are working along the edge or contour it becomes more complex and more careful to get the overlaps and angles working.

Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Also with the eye. Since this is a sculpture we drill in the iris and the pupil to make the values work. But in a drawing you should be thinking about the projection of the cornea.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua for your advice. I understand what you are saying, though I still don’t feel I’ve got it ‘right’. (I’m editing now, noticing after I posted that the model’s left eye still looks flat. Something about the angle of the eyelid…) In particular I worked on the eyes and I thought about and tried to do the following:

– Add the down planes of the upper eye lids;

– I thought about your comment that in sculpture, you drill out the pupils. I know the pupils are actually a void, so I redrew the pupils as such rather than as black ellipses;

– Place the hidden corners of the eyes and drew to them;

– Tried to make the corneas protrude more (not very successfully I don’t think 🤔);

– Did more rendering to the ear, neck and clavicles.

I’m happy to keep working this drawing if it’s useful, then I think the next thing for me to do is studies of eyes and mouth, focussing on these weaknesses.

I’m beginning to see all of these angles, forms, skulls, planes etc in the people around me – I think, ’oh yeah, it does look like that!’ It’s fascinating.

Thank you for pushing me to improve – I like being pushed 🙂.

Day 27: More refinements.

D Harback 027

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 28: Measured 2 point perspective ground plane. This is all I have time for today. Once I get through the bulk of the tutorials for 2PP, I’ll do a drawing using what I’ve learned. At the moment, I’m getting these study pages done so I have reference material to refer back to.

D Harback 028

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.