Deborah’s 100 Day Figure and Head Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Deborah’s 100 Day Figure and Head Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    Galina RogachevskyGalina Rogachevsky
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah, nice work on those figures!

Last ones with polychromes are my favourite🌹

I wish also to do studies like that in the future, usually i am hung up on one painting at a time and the end result..

Must be nice to have the dicipline for actual study😄

Best of luck with the challange♥️

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 028
    Day 28: Perspective drawing for a change. I said I’d throw one of these in here occasionally. I’m really enjoying Erik’s teaching. He’s very, very thorough! I’m using my iPad Pro and Procreate for this. Not sure why the image is blurry, but I think you can read the notes okay.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great notes Deborah🙂. I’ll check out that class eventually.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 029
    Day 29: continuation of the page from day 27’s two figures. There are two different models here – the top row is one and the bottom three are another. I played with making the top model’s head larger because it seems too small (top row, middle figure), but she is quite tall in proportion to the size of her head. I’m leaving their heads bald for the moment because I want to make sure I’m getting the head shape correct and not just covering my ignorance with a hairstyle. Ignore hands and feet in this post – they were not my main concern in this page, so didn’t spend time getting them correct. Thanks 🙂

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 030
    Day 30: Loose gesture drawing practice. Some of these I wish I could erase, a couple that gave me a tiny glimmer of hope. References are from the daily drawing videos.

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah, Nice work! I particularly love the figure of day 29. We can really feel the volumes.
    Gesture drawings are hard because of the time but you did a really nice job with them (day30)

Also the volumes in perspective really makes me want to check this course out too.

Keep it up! 🙂

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you for your kind words Natacha 🙂. I’m kind of glad you like the day 29 ones, because I’m happiest with those. I’ve been measuring from reference pretty carefully, but am finding that gradually my proportions are becoming more correct as I draw first and then measure when I feel something’s off. I’m really trying to use this challenge to practice skills I don’t have and it makes me stressed sometimes when I post! This next one is a prime example!

Day 31: Work in Progress Head Study. I am trying to push myself – no measuring from reference – just proportions from within the drawing. I’m trying to use the information I learned from the Planes of the Head drawing I did a few days ago, both for measuring proportions and to plot a terminator line and shadows, as well as the head structure videos I’ve been studying from. I’m used to careful rendering, so am finding it difficult to keep the shadows simple! I’ll keep working on this one tomorrow. I find this model (Maude) quite good to work from because the structure of her face is fairly easy to see.

D Harback 031

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good work Deborah 🙂. I’m working on the opposite right now. I usually draw without measuring at all, but I’m trying to get a little more precise, so I going to try using the knitting needles for the drawing stage of my next painting.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Bryan. It’s good to challenge our weaknesses. I’m sure you’ll find it useful.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 32: More progress. I think one more day should do it.

D Harback 032

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

You are doing awesome with the shading Deborah 🙂.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 033
    Day 33: Complete.

Thanks Bryan 🙂. I’m looking forward to using this paper up – I’d like something with less texture. It doesn’t look quite this speckled in real life – my phone camera insists on picking it up.

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah,

This portrait is awesome. I really like your rendereing and it seeing that you paid attention to the proportions !

You also progress so quickly, there’s a huge difference from the portraits of 3 pages ago 🙂

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you for your encouragement  Natacha 🙂. I’ve been thinking about what you said and I’m determined to stop overthinking, ‘get out of my own way’ and just enjoy this amazing journey. I appreciate your positivity! Merci! (That’s about all I know 😆!)

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 034
    Day 34: I’m not looking for a critique this time. Today was hectic and tomorrow will be too. Today, I showed up 🙂.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.