Deborah’s 100 Day Figure and Head Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Deborah’s 100 Day Figure and Head Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yes, I think you are right about a constructive approach vs. sight size. I know that Vilpuu and Huston usually both just kind of go with it when they accidentally make something the wrong size. Huston talks a lot about making the right type of errors. He says “you are going to mess up, so try to mess up in the right ways.” By this he means make the form too long instead of too short, or too curved instead of not curved enough. His basic point is that people will forgive your errors as long as they look like it was an idealized style you were going for. Vilppu is usually trying to draw like Michaelangelo or another old master, and they exaggerated everything as part of their style. Vilpuu always says that he isn’t concerned with copying the reference. With his background in animation, he is used to changing things on the spot. I don’t know enough about Mirochnik yet to know which methods he is using, but I do remember him estimating a proportion in one of his lectures. One other point here is that I can hear Vilpuu shouting “there are no rules” whenever I start getting too rigid in my approach and methods. I think sight-size has its benefits in certain situations, and so does the constructive approach. I wouldn’t be afraid to get out the ruler or plumb line in certain situations. I haven’t formally measured anything yet as I draw, but if I get into difficult perspective drawing I probably will. Hope this helps.
    Bryan.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

I think you are doing a great job as you are.  And I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

with care,

Jaylene

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Jaylene 🙂

Thanks Bryan. Yes, that does help. I know – I’ve heard Huston and Vilpuu say those things many times also, but I can’t help thinking ‘yes, but you also know the rules (anatomy etc) so well that you probably don’t even think about the fact that you’re still using them!’ I’m going to keep practicing the gesture drawing, but I’m also going to start learning anatomy and doing study copies from the Old Masters. Where I’ll find time for it all I’m not sure, but slowly and surely, it will all help.

Deborah

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 5 of 100: Lauren. Polychromos on Strathmore toned tan paper (not sure why the program is insisting on putting this photo sideways – does it only like horizontal images??)

Today I decided to take my time and focus on a single figure from NMA reference. I’m enjoying this one. I’m starting to render form with colour pencils. Will finish it tomorrow. I’ve started watching Glenn Vilpuu’s head drawing class, so I managed to give this figure a face!

Deborah

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

This is really good Deborah. I like that you left the construction lines so we can see what you were thinking with the placement. I like how there are only a few highlights and shadows here, and yet we already have a good sense of the three dimensional forms in the legs. The head looks like it is positioned accurately and correctly proportioned. I’m looking forward to seeing the finished work tomorrow. 👍

Bryan.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Bryan 🙂

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 6: Lauren. Complete. Polychromos on Strathmore toned tan paper

Yay! She’s the right way up this time!

Deborah

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Looks really good. Reminds me a bit of a Degas drawing. I can sense the movement of the pose. The only criticism I have is the top back part of the leg in back maybe disappears a little bit too much into the background. What size is this? Looks like you have a handle on putting in small details. I’m struggling with that at the moment. Keep up the good work.
    Bryan.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Bryan. She is about 13 x 20cm / 5 x 8”. I’m pretty sure pencils are a fair bit easier than oil pastels for putting fine detail in 😆!
    Regarding the leg disappearing into the background, I thought about shading the background on the right side – I’ve seen artists do that, to create contrast without having to leave it as line. It needs a solution, because the light comes from the right side and the leg on that side isn’t in shadow, but equally doesn’t have highlights, and the paper is my mid tone. I might try…

Thanks once again for your very helpful feedback.

Deborah

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Debbie H.
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 7 of 100: Back out of my comfort zone today using an underhand grip, contè pencil and drawing larger. I’m still aiming for gestural, but took more time to observe carefully. I’m hoping I can loosen up more as I do many more of these and thus become more familiar with how the body sits in space. Is this a reasonable approach? Thanks

Deborah

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The drawings are good, especially the one sitting down. That one has a very solid form. I can definitely see some of the tension in your line work. I can’t give you a bunch of advice on that because I’m new to this as well and still struggle with it myself. However, I have found a few things that work for me a bit that may or may not be useful to you. One is I try to go very light through most of my drawing until the very end. I know that is often easier said that done.    One thing that helped me with that was to practice drawing with a ballpoint pen. I think Steve Huston gave me that advice. Knowing that I would have to start over if I messed up forced me to get used to pressing very light. The 2nd thing that I do frequently is to use a paper towel and soften the lines through each phase of my drawing. This also really helps with keeping lines from getting dark. The third thing that really helps me is it use crayons instead of pencils. That might be specific just to my individual preferences, but I feel much more relaxed when I draw with crayons. When I draw with pencil, I have to tendency to want to draw like I write, and it’s hard for me to break that habit. Anyway, I can tell that you are on the right track with your drawings. All the details will fall into place with time and practice.
    Bryan.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 8 of 100: Conté 1710B on drawing paper. I ought to have done these two figures at the same scale. Next time. A welcome thing is happening – my trepidation at doing these drawings is beginning to wear off!

Thanks Bryan. I’m not able to do much to fix these Day 8 figures, but will take your advice for the next drawings. I’ll try to lighten up. The conté is a pretty juicy pencil, but I think it’s primarily to do with my feeling lost at sea and wanting a sense of control. Under drawings would probably help while my judgement making improves.

Thanks again for your continued helpful feedback.

Deborah

JeanetteMinnichJeanetteMinnich
    Participant
    No points.

I think you’re doing great with getting the line of the poses. I need to watch some of the classes you mentioned and do more practice drawing from the model library. I wouldn’t change your challenge—it looks to me like you’re making fast progress.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Jeanette for your kind words. Yes, the classes are wonderful. It’s very inspiring to have such a caliber of teaching to learn from.

Deborah

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 9 of 100: Indian Red Polychromos. I went back to line for today. I feel I’m finally getting the hang of this, but critique would still be very much appreciated. Thanks 😊

Deborah

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.