Deborah’s 100 Day Figure and Head Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Deborah’s 100 Day Figure and Head Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Awesome work Deborah 🙂

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I can’t say if the eyes may be to far apart but in general it looks better to me, again with out looking at the reference.

I also really enjoy the processes that are more focused on knowledge and constructing while using this knowledge, so I can relate to what you are saying.

As you mentioned the “downside” to this approach is that you grow/improve with your knowledge which means the beginning can be really frustrating since you often end up not knowing what to do next or how to solve a problem. Which, as you describe, makes it so fascinating in my opinion to see someone like Ilya doing it.

But on the other side I enjoy how every new bit of information can possibly be seen in your work therefore resulting in regular improvement.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 092
    Day 92: More progress. I wish I could do better with photo quality. I’m not quite sure when I’ll say I’m done. Iliya still has an hour and a half left of the tutorial, so I’ll work through that and see where I end up. For all of my following along with his process, my drawing still looks quite different to his. I’m more reluctant to lay down heavy tone and I’m not as confident of my shoulder girdle anatomy. He’s also working from a slightly different angle than the photo and I guess we’re just different people. I’m learning a lot.

Hi Christopher. Thanks again for your feedback. It’s a little frustrating, but I’m enjoying putting what I’m learning into practice and seeing the improvements along the way. I’m trying new media, new methods of drawing and learning to think in different ways. It’s a good journey 🙂.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 93: Today’s drawing didn’t go so well. I tried to be daring and put the darker sanguine stick over the whole drawing and then erase the lighter tones. It wasn’t very successful. I’ve lost the sensitivity of the drawing that I had. Another time, I’ll just continue building tone where it needs to be instead. The paper is deteriorating with my continual messing with it, so I’m going to stop here and be grateful for what I’ve learned rather than the outcome.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 094
    Day 94: Sketchbook page. I did these sketches today from Hans Holbein drawings, plus a couple of quotes from Iliya’s portrait videos.

tobstobs
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Looking good, keep it up!

TomleybooTomleyboo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Absolutely love day day 92’s. I’ve only just started out and it’s so exciting to see how far others have come. Keep it up, not long till day 100 now !

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 095
    Day 95: Line work for the pelvis. Thank you Toby and Tomleyboo 🙂. It’s a great journey. I’ve learned so much.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah,

I really like how you establish some perspective guidelines first. In that regard I’ll miss to see how structured you start your pieces. I found it to be really fascinating since it’s in contrast to the accuracy in your lay ins, so that one could think it’s “only” observation like sight size.

So in that regard you really absorbed Ilya’s approach 😁

Coming back to day 95’s perspective lines … it could be the angle you hold the camera, or camera distortion but it looks like your axis lines would converge to the left (our view) instead to the right. I would say the top line is off the most after that I’m not sure if the middle one or the bottom one is “wrong” but the distance from the middle to the bottom line seems also to be slightly smaller to the left.

I haven’t measured anything it’s just how I perceived it 😅👋

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Christopher.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Christopher.
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 096
    Day 96: I just had time for a sketchbook page today – the pelvis and rib cage. I wanted to spend the time understanding how the 3D forms turn in space, so chose to do multiple line drawings instead of rendering one.

Hi Christopher. I just measured it again – you’re right! I wasn’t actually trying to put day 95’s pelvis into perspective, but the lines should be parallel and the top one is not quite. Thank you 🙂! (Don’t measure today’s – I only eyeballed these!) Yes, my overarching aim for this challenge has been to understand 3D forms and not just copy photo reference. I honestly don’t think I could get anatomy, faces etc. even vaguely correct without the understanding I’m slowly gaining. It’s been (and continues to be) challenging, but the NMA instruction has been incredibly helpful. There’s tons to learn, which I am excited for. I want to do illustration and don’t want to be stuck doing stick figures 😆! I’ve got so much to learn, I’ll be back before long 🙂.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 097

Day 97: I tried to put more anatomy into these figures after all I’ve been learning. Today I looked for reference figures with foreshortening and twists.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Debbie H.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Debbie H.
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 098

Day 98: I’ve decided that for the last three days of my challenge, I’m going to draw and render a figure, putting to use all that I’ve learnt through the challenge. This is from an image of Jade (NMA reference). Because she is draped and has her hair down, figuring out the anatomy and construction under these items was part of my process today. I will also change her hair. I increased the contrast of this image so the line work is clear.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 099

Day 99: Progress.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Congratulations on Day 99!  You have a really nice start here.  One observation: the line of her profile is too straight.  The forehead has more of a pronounced “c” curve, the nose is more angled, and the curves of her lips and chin are more rounded.  Try downloading the image and blowing the head up really big in your viewer to really see what is going on in those shapes.  Can’t wait for the finished product!

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 100

Day 100: Wow, it’s arrived! I am so grateful for this challenge and for everybody who has given me feedback over the past 100 days, providing encouragement and helping me to improve. Keep up the good work everyone!

Thanks Erik – that was a great help. Is this working better? Feedback on this drawing would be great. Thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.