Deborah’s 100 Day Figure and Head Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Deborah’s 100 Day Figure and Head Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Bryan. I want to to do several more of these for eyes, nose, mouth and ears. I looked up the YouTube link but it won’t link. Could be my end, but would you mind posting it again, or give me the name of the video? Thank you 🙂.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hmm, I wonder if it is because we are in different countries. The name of the video is “Basic Pastel Portraits with Jon Davies.” I think all of it is valuable, but around minute 25 is when he starts talking specifically about eyes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNjhewlVUIc&t=2782s

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe.
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

It’s working now. Thank you 🙂. He explains what he’s doing clearly and though I’ve only watched the eye section at 25 minutes so far, yes, it’s helpful. Lovely drawing! I can see why you like pastels – it’s a lovely medium.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I’m glad the video worked, and that it was helpful for you. I really love his enthusiasm. He puts so much passion and energy into all his drawings, even instructional ones. Yes, I love that with pastels you are drawing and painting at the same time 🙂

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

The Ellen Eagle Pastel lectures on here are also very good.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 022
    Day 22: Please ignore the smudge to the right of the mouth (model’s left) – it was a pencil mark that smudged instead of erased. I watched Joshua’s head construction critique video this morning. Structure, structure, structure. It made so much sense. I’ve said it before, but I need to study the skull so I can understand how to build the face. I am trying to use the construction methods I’ve been learning as I draw and not just rely on measuring the reference photos. More milage required.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Debbie H.
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Link to the video: https://youtu.be/Mi07Wk8-C2M

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

These are looking good. I can see the improvement.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Bryan 🙂

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 023
    Day 23: Planes of the Head, Russian Drawing course – linework, 30 x 16.5cm / 12 x 6.5”

I have wanted to do Iliya’s course since the beginning. Why haven’t I? I come from a background of  copying photo reference and so I thought I needed to go in the complete opposite direction to undo my copying habit. I thought I should just do gesture, but of course structure and gesture have to go together. I set the reference photo up for this on my computer away from my drawing board and used it, like Iliya says to, like a real model. I used the knitting needles at my drawing board for angles and measurements and drew larger than the image to force me to measure proportionally from my own drawing and not copy line lengths from the photo. Not sure if that makes sense, but it worked and I’m really glad I’m doing it. It took me three hours to Iliya’s 51 minutes, but I really enjoyed it and didn’t want to stop! I love the focus on 3D structure in space and it’s going to help me enormously.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Looks good 🙂. I’ll try to do that course at some point. Right now, I’m preoccupied trying to figure out color theory.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 024
    Day 24: Progress.

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good work Deborah. That lesson is really useful because if you can identify each plane of the head/face, then you can figure out which color to paint them (at least in theory🙂). Thank you for that video. It is helpful. I will try out those techniques.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Deborah. I really like your approach to this challenge. I tend to be quite analytical in my approach too. Lots of notes all over the pages in an effort to remember and get the ideas to really stick in my mind. Keep going. I think you’ll see a lot of improvement through this challenge.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Bryan, I’m glad the video was helpful. Understanding the planes is useful. It’s quite complex. I’m doing the light and shadow by following along with the lesson – there’s a lot of thinking which goes into the composition that come from theory of light rather than just copying the reference. It’s great.

Paul, thank you for your kind words. I do hope to improve and NMA is a goldmine! I’m enjoying learning so much. I’m prone to think myself into inaction which is a problem, but the challenge is by nature curing that – the accountability has been really helpful.

Deborah

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.