Deborah’s 100 Day Figure and Head Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Deborah’s 100 Day Figure and Head Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah,

I always enjoy looking at structural drawings/approaches. On this one I especially like the nose since you can really see how you approach/interpret the planes of the nose.

Additionally it’s interesting to see a hint of perspective usage since you told me that you also follow the perspective course in the background. I really like the course and find it to be enlightening but also difficult to work out for yourself how to actually apply the information.

So it’s nice to see that you are already practising how to use perspective for your work 👍

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Shazad. Thank you for your kind words 🙂. The model is amazing and well worth using.

Thank you Christopher. I think that learning the perspective adds a layer to your knowledge and understanding which you then can’t help but gradually begin to apply. For me, I used to just copy photos without really understanding the forms I was drawing and was unable to do more than faithfully copy. With the added tools such as perspective, the skull, lighting etc, I’m beginning to understand what I’m drawing in a new way. I have a LONG way to go, but every new thing I learn begins to influence the others. It means that I can begin to think about how I want a drawing to look rather than being chained to photos. As Steve Huston says, ‘art is hard,’ but it’s incredibly worthwhile.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 049
    Day 49: Back to the figure. I didn’t get a lot done today either, but I did test my memory out a bit with the skull shape and left shoulder – the model’s hair was out and covering all of that. I’m still leaving hair off to push my head drawing correctness.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 050

Day 50: I started working on the front view of the skull today using the 3D model. I’m still trying to get a handle on understanding the skull.

Chris_LegaspiChris_Legaspi
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah, really nice drawings and studies so far. I love your recent DAy 49,50 drawings. The skull structure reads well. In the figure, the hip construction reads well. I would also study construction of the upper torso, especially the shoulders and upper back. Look forward to more drawings.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Chris. Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback on these. Your comments are very helpful and much appreciated. I’ll do study of the upper torso as soon as I’m finished with this skull study.

Jean CarlosJean Carlos
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah. Day 50 is looking awesome! Feels like a scientific illustration, very accurate!

Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Congrats of reaching past day 50 Deborah🙂

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 051

Day 51: Skull progress.

Thanks Bryan – it’s a good feeling!

Thank you Jean. Doing it like this is helping me to understand the forms. I’m gradually getting to know it!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Debbie H.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Debbie H.
    Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 052

Day 52: Complete

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Great rendering on the skull!  This is a great study, and very well done.

Nice drawing, and good luck!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by erikdenneserikdennes.
    Bryan MccabeBryan Mccabe
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice work Deborah. How long did this one take you?

JessicaJessica
    Participant
    No points.

Love this! I hope by the time I finish my challenge, I can create something like this!  So great.  I saw your pumpkin drawings on Joshua’s thread.  Those were so amazing.  You have a beautiful graphite style.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

D Harback 053

Day 53: I had a go at labelling this today.

Erik, thank you – I appreciate your kind words.

Thanks Bryan. This one took about 12 hours 🙂

Hi Jessica 🙂. Thank you so much for your kind words. I look at others’ work and think the same thing. The nice thing about this challenge is that everyone’s here to practice and we’re all learning. It’s a nice community.

JanJan
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I just found this thread and now plan to follow your progress. Your drawings are amazing. I feel like I could have written your comments about copying photos without understanding the forms. I always wanted to get right to the details before I had built a solid foundation. I’m not sure if my own drawings are showing it yet, but I completely agree with how exciting it is to start thinking in a new way. Thanks for the inspiration!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.