Dane’s 100 Day Art Challenge(2nd Attempt): Portraits/ Head Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Dane’s 100 Day Art Challenge(2nd Attempt): Portraits/ Head Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)
  • Author
    DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks Erik!

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day 33,

Today I decided to try something different for fun and work in more of a children’s book style.  The subject is Keanu Reeves.

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day 34,

Today I continued to develop my Bruce Lee portrait, adding some nuance to the shadow area.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Dane, please see the critique video I uploaded for you.

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you for the critique Joshua! I really appreciate it, and it was very helpful to see the planes and structure of the expression broken down. I look forward to incorporating some of the structural elements, and I will post the next version soon!

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day 35,

Today I continued to develop my Bruce Lee portrait based on Joshua’s feedback. I still have a long way to go, but Im starting to see an improvement in the likeness, which is definitely what I’m after!

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day 36,

Today I did a quick sketch of a shoebill in procreate. One of my favourite aspects of portraiture is the interaction between the subject and the background/frame, and my goal was to explore the idea of the subject breaking the frame. This approach is heavily inspired by the dynamic sketches of Charles Hu and Peter Han, and I love this style because I am less of a shape painter and more of a concept sketcher/ pen and ink draughtsman. Still has a long way to go, but I may just leave it as a sketch at this point.

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Peter Han is amazing.  I wrote to Charles Hu on instagram and I think he is planning on doing a dynamic sketching course with NMA.  Can’t wait for that!!

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

That’s very exciting Erik! Thanks for requesting it because I think it will be enormously useful and fun!

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day 37,

Continuing to chip away at my Bruce Lee portrait today.

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day 38,

Today I tried something a bit different and did some head quicksketches in procreate, limiting them to 5 minutes each. Im trying to introduce more tone into my work, so I used digital marker brushes to try and capture the light and shadow/light and dark masses before adding some very minor and rough detail. I like the idea of montaging images together as I would in my sketchbook.

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day 39,

Today I made some more adjustments to my ongoing Bruce Lee portrait. Since its an invented head, I also modified the silhouette to be a bit less exaggerated and more characteristic of Bruce Lee’s head/hair shape. I still have a lot to do, but I’m liking the idea of bringing the values down so that its like he’s being lit by the big sun shape behind him(I have a rim light on a different layer that isn’t shown in this image, and will probably be added later). I’m also trying to eliminate the lines and just paint shapes, as I don’t really have a lot in my portfolio that isn’t line based.

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day 40,

Today I’m sharing some of quick sketch life drawings from my sketchbook. I’m really inspired by artists like Frank Frazetta and Heinrich Kley, so I like the idea of going straight in with ink and using loose and energetic lines. I used a Pilot G tech pen to keep myself from getting fixated on detail. The building isn’t really related to portraiture, but I like how it forms a montage with the other images on the page!

DaneThibeault
    Participant
    No points.

Day 41,

Today I’m still chipping away at my Bruce Lee portrait. It still has a long way to go and changes at this point don’t appear as evident, but I’m definitely liking where its headed in terms of the dramatic mood and the improving likeness. Im also trying to eliminate as many lines as I can which is scary for me but very necessary for taking my work in a different direction and showing a more painting focussed side of me, which is lacking in my current portfolio.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.