[COMPLETED] Birgith’s 100 Day Challenge: Still life painting

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge [COMPLETED] Birgith’s 100 Day Challenge: Still life painting

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Birgith ScheiBirgith Schei
    Participant
    No points.

Thanks, Paul. I have chosen  to focus on ellipses, because I find them challenging, and I want to manage them. Hopefully I will be really clever when these 100 days are passed 😊.
    This is no. 8 day of my still life no. 2. I will leave it for some days and then study it again for probable corrections. In the mean time I will have to find some more still life objects.

Participant
    No points.

Here are sketches of possible items for future still life paintings

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I like that you’ve chosen to have objects with varying surface textures. Some slight overlapping of objects can be good to suggest more depth in your image. Analyse your horizontal and vertical lines of where your objects are placed and the general directions. Analyse how the objects in space will direct the viewer’s eye. This is good to see if you like how the viewer will interact with your image.

Participant
    No points.

Day no. 9 of my 100 days  Art challenge. Still life no. 3, which at this moment is just a sketch.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Go go go!

Some tips.

1. More perspective consideration. With still life paintings, how these objects sit on the table and how they relate to each other is very important.A little more drawing underneath will help you work this out.

2. Fewer tangents. In other words, more and clearer overlaps. When too many objects just touch each other is makes the space confusing.

3. Find a simpler value pattern for the whole piece. Rather than each object getting masses or value areas, try to find an overall pictorial pattern using shadow, light, local color. Anything you can. Ben Fenske’s lectures on this subject in his Landscape course are excellent. Maybe instead of 13 masses we could have 4 or 5.

Participant
    No points.

Thanks, Joshua. I will take your comments into consideration in my continuing.

Participant
    No points.

Thanks to Joshua for corrective recommendations to my last published sketch. Instead of correcting and continuing  this, I have decided to go for the attached and new one,  as a guide for my next acrylic still life painting.  I intend to use warm yellow/brownish together with  blue/wiolet and some brighter  tones. 

Peihong Jiang Peihong Jiang
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

ohhhh I like the colors!

Speaking of perspective and ellipse, some question:

From the onion, I assume that I’m looking down at the scene, but the cap of the bottle seem to have a longer minor axis than its bottom? Which makes it looking counterintuitive to me. But I’m not a master in perspective in any sense. 🙂 Welcome to correct me!

^source: internet

Participant
    No points.

Thank you for your comments, Jiang. I will do some corrective measurements to be sure the ellipsis on the glass is correct. I look at the scene from above in a 40 -50 degree angel. The half onion is a little bit tilted towards me.

Participant
    No points.

You were right about the glass ellipses, Jiang. I have made the bottom ellipsis rounder and the top a bit more narrow. Thanks for making me aware of that. 💐. However, this is just a sketch to give me an idea of the arrangement of the objects that I am going to paint. I will be more accurate regarding geometry and perspectives on my painting. I have started to follow a drawing course by Iliya Mirochnik here at NMA which has given me some good techniques to make  ellipses in perspective. I will use this technique during my painting.

Participant
    No points.

This is the 11th day of my 100 day still life challenge. Just started painting the scene drawn yesterday.

Josseline JeriaJosseline Jeria
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Good start Birgith 🙂

André Girão TaufferAndré Girão Tauffer
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I love the shapes you chose for the second painting! It’s amazing how you reach for a nice symmetry for those round elliptical forms, I find it really hard to achieve!

Participant
    No points.

Thank you so much, Andre.
    Here is the 12 th day if my 100 day challenge. 

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work.

Something to try: Draw a box to enclose each item, even it’s an onion and nothing like a box. If the box sits convincingly in the table in perspective just having that container will help you give your objects more of a sense of correct spatial placement.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 163 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.