Simon’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Human body

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Simon’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Human body

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day19: hair assignment. It was a good exercise. I want to do this more often. It’s just the perfect every day exercise.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 20:

I drew a few faces, I realized that I have to learn how to draw expressions, because I can not draw creepy smiles like this one any more. I think The big blue face is alright in term of proportions but nothing is aligned… I have to keep the construction more consistent

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day21:

I achieved Huston’s classes on age and expressions, that’s quite a lot of information.

I  am quite happy today because:

• I am getting more and more confident with drawing on bigger scale
    • My proportions are not perfect, but I can really notice an improvement compared to my drawing made 20 days ago
    • Most of the time, when I am not happy with a drawing, it’s because I intuitivly copied the photo, instead of constructing a face based on the photo I have in front of me. I identify this mistake more easily, and I am more able to correct it.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Still day 21:

I try to draw as much as I can these day to catch up my “days off”

I tried to draw with a black brush pen, it’s really efficient to draw quick studies. It’s really a good way to focus on the structure instead of waisting time on rendering.

And here with the expression studies, I have so much fun! It’s really a great topic.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by S.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by S.
    S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

day22:

I drew a couple of faces with a black bruch pen, but I didn’t spend the whole day drawing as I did yesterday. So the result is bad… quite difficult to draw something nice without any warm up before. Here the problem is the lack of construction.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day23:

I just drew a second time the two last heads from yesterday. I think it’s better. The third one is not a success, because again, I intuitivly copied the picture, instead of constructing it. The fourth one looks better. But I guess making mistakes and correcting them is the whole point of the daily practice right?

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day24 and 25: I started drawing ‘kevin expression 25501 and 25519’, I thought the result was so bad, that I got deeply discouraged. I couldn’t figure out how to make a simple sketch of this head successfully. I got super frustrated and I couldn’t choose between keep trying and moving on, and just draw another head.

Day 26 to 28: So, well, I just stopped drawing. I realise now that this challenge is just so much harder than I thought. It’s not only about practicing it’s also about dealing with lack of progress, frustration, doubts, …

So, after two “failures” at the quarter of the challenge, I don’t expect to achieve it properly, but I will keep posting. And instead of drawing all the things described on day 1, I will focus 100% on heads. I think it’s the best way to work on these different learning phases and to deal with their emotional states. So maybe, after this first “dry run” I will be ready to actually draw something for 100 days.

Feel free to share your eperience about learning, frustration, … and to advise 🙂

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day29 to 34: I was about to give up and I listend to a very interesting podcast about learning art. So I thought it would be beneficial to re-learn everything from the begining.

Therefore I started watching the “head drawing for begginer” course from the begining, and I tried to draw very simple heads from different angles, on different scales, to check what works and what doesn’t.

Nat
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Your pen drawings on day 23 are a definite improvement from the day before, i especially like the one where she’s wrinkling her face.

I like Huston’s approach in the beginner head drawing course; his triangle head shape was very helpful. I stopped before his lesson on expression, and moved to Vilpu to get a further approach , and now i’ve just been jumping around randomly between various lesson and reference images. There’s so much good learning material it’s easy to start jumping around and lose focus and feel like you’re not getting anywhere. I’ve been thinking about setting smaller goals within the challenge to keep me pushing to my final goal.

Anyway, progress happens in cycles, we keep going around build it up slowly each time, ocassionally getting dizzy along the way. Your progress is already evident, i look forward to seeing the rest of your challenge.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for your comment Natalie,

I kind of gave up the challenge although I continued drawing,

I think at some point this challenge was more a burden and a source of stress than a pleasure^^’ so I just sopted, and I continued to draw, looking for my own rythm. These days I am getting closer from a regular daily routine. I will probably start a new challenge soon. Feeling accountable to a community is a really a good way to make progress.

Anyway I post here some drawings from the last months.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.