Simon’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Human body

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Simon’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Human body

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I have a pretty hard time to draw heads and bodies, right and with confidence, so every day I will do one of those things:

• 30 min of gesture drawing
    • a study of a human body part (face, hands, feet, …)
    • a figure drawing

I want to do this challenge because recently I got back my interest for drawing and painting. Usually I do a little bit of everything, I don’t really progress significantly in anything and finally I give up… So this time I want to focus fully on the most important and fundamental discipline to me: figure drawing.

Let’s do this! 😀

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by S.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by S.
    S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day1Day 1, I start with heads. The most difficult for me is the front view. Also it’s super hard to determine if my proportions are correct during the early stage of the drawing. I always enjoy the process though, whatever the result is.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Still day one, still struggling but still enjoying 😀Day1.1

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day2: well, I am really disappointed with this one. I wanted to do a kind of quick study of one head, I took 5 min per head but I kind of get lost between the observation, the structure and the gesture.

the result is just really bad, but that’s ok. I am here to learn anyway.Ugly heads

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day2: after the first failure of today I thought it would be a good idea to draw a skull and to take my time to study the structure of the head. The result is not nice, I would even say it’s pretty ugly. But it really forced me to think more about the construction of the head. Skull and head
    3D model

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day3: today i learned very good stuff from Master Glenn Vilppu in his introduction to skull structure lesson. I tried to apply his advises on a serie of heads. It’s far from perfect, but I can really feel an improvement compared to yesterday’s disaster. I also noticed that I have to watch out more the line I draw. Most of the time I don’t think about what I do and the result is always very dirty.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by S.
    S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Really nice work here. The improvement is obvious. When doing these kinds of analytical drawings it can be helpful to work larger so you have enough room to get the structures working correctly.

JayleneJaylene
    Participant
    No points.

I love what you got out of the 3d model, very nice.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Joshua for your feedback 🙏.

I will try to work on larger scale then, it makes sense of course 🤔

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Jaylene, good to hear. Well, I really have a lot of fun with the 3D gallery.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day4: I am happy with today’s result. I slowly get more confident in associating what I see with the the structural ideas I learned from Masters Huston and Vilppu. I still have to practice a lot, and I am looking forward to learning more about the values, the muscles of the neck, the planes of the head…

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

<!–more–>

DebraDebra
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Simon, you have some really good work here, it’s interesting to read your thoughts too! I like Vilppu and Huston’s courses as well, although I haven’t gotten to heads yet.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks Debra for your encouraging comment 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.