Simon’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Human body

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Simon’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Human body

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day5: I worked on ears and eyes, the construction is pretty difficult but again the 3D models are a very useful ressource. And it’s so satisfying to render these clean and flat planes 😀

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by S.
    S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day6: I didn’t have to do much today so I try to draw a picture of David Lynch.
    On the man face I clearly missed something but I couldn’t say what exactly. The women face, well I don’t know either, but for both I was really in trouble to place the ear. I erased it at least once per face. I will practice more tomorrow.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day7: I did my homework during day 7, but well everything went wrong so I post it 1 day later…

Well I don’t know, some day it just doesn’t work, and the more I try the worse the result is…

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day8: today I try drawing with Polychrom pencils, it’s really nice, the colors are really rich and a little bit like pen, it forces me to make better decision before drawing any line.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Still Day 8: I tried to draw a head on a bigger scale, it’s really a challenge to watch out the proportions at this scale.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

From Day 9 to 13 I celebrated my 30th birthday with my friends and familly in the mountains. So between the table shaking during 8 hours in the train and the time spent with my relatives, I couldn’t draw much. I only drew a quick sketch to refresh my memory, and once I was back home, I tried to draw again the last head I drew on Day8. It’s not a success, I realised I have a hard time to understand the position of the skull and what’s going on with the torso and the neck…

It makes me realise that this chalenge is way more difficult than expected. In the next days I will have time for sure, so I will try to catch this up, meaning I will draw another head for each day I skiped.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day14: I drew this head, the angle is difficult and the top of the head out of frame on the reference… I didn’t manage to get the construction and the proportion right… i will try to draw this head again, I can not just move on every time I am not happy with what I have done…

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day15

After watching a video from Mr Huston, I tried to simplify a bit more my drawing, and to draw an idea of the head that I see, instead of just copying what I see. I think the result looks a bit more coherent than yesterday. 🙂

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day16:

I studied Len’s head. It was very interesting and I think my volumes and structures are getting less and less wrong.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day17:

Today I followed Steven Huston’s course on hair. It was really intersting although sometimes when I follow a class I think “drawing from a reference woud be much more efficient”

But when I draw from a reference I often think “omg, I don’t kow what I am doing, I should rather continue the course I’ve started”…

Well, I think I will set up a proper schedule to define a balance between drawing practice and lessons. Hopefully I won’t have any more this feeling to do something completely chaotic and random.

And you, how do you share your time between lesson and practice?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by S.
    theokatzman45
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hey simon, this is some great stuff! I can recognize some of the drawings from Steve’s course! Looking solid. Many times I get the same feeling not knowing what I’m doing with the reference lol! And finding the balance between how much time to spend actually drawing and on focused coursework is a constant struggle for me. So I guess I’m not much help here haha, making up some sort of routine sounds like a good plan, I need one!

AndrewAndrew
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Nice work Simon and whose teaching style did you enjoy more? Villpu or Huston his portrait lessons?

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day18: i just had time to start working on a Da Vinci’s sketch. It’s a really quick one but I feel more confident compared to 15 days ago.

S
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Mattias1612: thank you so much for your encouragement  🙏 and it’s good to know that I am not alone

@Andrew: thank you so much for your comment. Hard choice. I like both actually.

Huston explains some clear structural ideas. He teaches a great logical methodology. Vilppu is just great. I just like watching the master drawing and listening to his anecdotes. It’s the kind of lesson I like watching with a hot beverage and a cookie. XD and what you? Which one do you like the most?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.