Shazad’s 100 Day Challenge: Russian Drawing Course

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Shazad’s 100 Day Challenge: Russian Drawing Course

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

64 cont.. Also started on another more detailed pelvis drawing which I will finish and post tomorrow

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Shazad Madon.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Shazad Madon.
    Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 65:

Will try to do many more angles with quick studies today as similar to the scapula, this is a more complex part to grasp.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

65 continued…

Started with side view. This time tried using charcoal again. I might refine it further later or decide to start on a different view.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Shazad,

It’s inspiring seeing all of the great work you’ve done so far. I’m impressed that you’re working from imagination already! How are you finding that? You seem confident with it. Out of interest, are you working from a real skeleton model or does the Russian drawing course give photos for all of these parts? I’d like to continue with Iliya’s teaching – he’s a great teacher. I want to learn everything at once, but have to work patiently like you are doing! Keep up the good work 🙂!

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah, thanks for your comment.

With regard to working from imagination some parts are easier than others. The hardest part is understanding how the element appears in perspective. I must admit certain parts like the Scapula were not easy for me and at times I would make my attempt and then refer back to the skeleton to confirm or correct some things. The point though is not simply to get it perfect in the first attempt but the fact that simply trying to visualize it in space, forces you to understand the form better. However i already know that currently its the first step, in putting the puzzle together. I will have to come back and revisit the forms many times before they will be more ingrained, but I think once you have practiced it the first time you revise it every time you draw an actual figure as you notice the underlying forms.

Regarding the skeleton, I am lucky to have a skeleton model, that a friend lent to me. However this one cannot be dismantled to its individual parts. The Russian course not only has references but also 3d viewers for each part in the study, which I think is great and quite sufficient if you don’t have a skeleton. Beside I cannot turn my skeleton in more difficult positions or easily control the light, for which purpose the 3d viewer is actually far more beneficial. The benefit of an actual skeleton though is the fact that you can feel the surface form better. You can touch it and see where it bulges out and turns away and move around it to visualize it better.

I agree that Iliya is a great teacher. He also has a subtle sense of humour as you will occasionally find in his videos. Also the fact that there are concrete assignments certainly reduces my energies spent on deciding what to do and get to work. 🙂 From what i’ve heard and I may be wrong, but the Russian approach is interesting in the fact that they slowly put the pieces together and at first do a lot of long drawings and then move on to quicker drawings and  simplifying things. I find this approach suits me better as i always had panic attacks trying to do 2 minute head drawings. I find it much better to take my time to understand the forms better and then gradually simplify them and move onto quicker sketches.

I hope I answered everything and good luck with your progress as well. Regarding the patience I have very little as well :), but my trick is that If I start out thinking I need to finish a  task in a week I immediately assume it will take 4 weeks, haha. This allows me to relax into it and enjoy the task better.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Am on a film shoot so literally have had no time to upload anything. But I managed to find some moments in between to draw. I upload them altogether here.

DAY 66 and 67

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 68

More basic constructions

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Shazad Madon.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Shazad Madon.
    Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 69:

Started to attempt some constructions from imagination. Not satisfied with these yet.

Yesterday was a day I didnt manage to draw anything as we were shooting outside. 🙁 but I will continue and count today as day 70 as I have plenty of time today.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 70:

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 71

From imagination:

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Notes and revisions.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 72:

My drawings from imagination had a wonky perspective.

So I went back to the drawing board, this time starting out constructing an observed pelvis in bucket and box forms.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.