Shazad’s 100 Day Challenge: Russian Drawing Course

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Shazad’s 100 Day Challenge: Russian Drawing Course

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 81 cont…

Took the drawing to completion yesterday. Tried to experiment with the edges and background, not exactly satisfied with the result though. 🙂

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 82

Started with the lesson on Torso. I found a large wood plank on the street which I picked up for the large format drawings.

I find its very handy as I can now stick up past studies so that I can revise the overlapping anatomy as I study the Torso. 🙂

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice studies. I can’t really make much out in the last photo but on that ribcage I’d like to see a simpler and clearer light vs shadow design. Just like a box that ribcage has a top,sides, front, back but the drawing isn’t making that as clear as it could.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    iamjakerooiamjakeroo
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

hey Shazad,

great job on taking day81 to completion

that’s always a tough thing to do, at least for me..

keep it up

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Joshua, thanks for the critique. Just to understand where I went wrong according to the idea of the ribcage  being like a box, I see a few possibilities. The light is coming from the top left I think. So i do think the top of the spine would catch more light but I toned it down as i did’nt want too much attention there, but maybe i toned it down a bit too much? I see now the bottom plane can certainly be a bit darker. Between the front plane and the side plane I added an intermediary halftone. Not sure if this is so apparent either. After the 5th rib there’s a an inward turn so i made the lower part of the front plane darker , but maybe it reads too close to the shadow side? Perhaps my control of tone is not yet so good when using charcoal. But I’ll try better next time.

@iamjakeroo Thank you.

Day 83: Almost completed the front torso drawing yesterday but will put some more finishing touches today before posting it.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Shazad Madon.
    elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Well done. I’m a long way behind but loving it.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 84 : completed Torso front view

Day 85: Started lesson on Torso posterior view

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@elizabethhone Thank you and good luck!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Shazad Madon.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Shazad Madon.
    Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 86 (today):

Started with rear view drawing and marked out some of the muscles and landmarks. I feel the overall proportion is a bit too long maybe.  Will make further corrections.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 87 and Day 88: Worked further on the Torso

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Shazad. This looks beautiful! I’m looking forward to doing these lessons. You’ve come a long way through Iliya’s teaching and done it very thoroughly!

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Deborah Thanks very much.

Day 89-Day94: Wasnt consistent with posting everyday but its because I worked a little bit every day.

Hopefully I will complete this study by tomorrow.

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 95

Completed.

Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Shazad,

I’m a really big fan of the rendering on these legs, but this drawing would be better if the proportions were more carefully considered at an earlier stage of the drawing. A lot of the small proportions, the placement of the muscles, are quite good, but the legs are too wide overall. All you needed to do here is to make sure to take the bones’ width in the main bony landmark areas and transfer them onto the ecorche. For example, in the front view of the ecorche, the ankle is as wide as the gastrocnemius’ widest point, which just can’t happen.

The proportions of the ankles and the knees are much more correct in the bones you drew on the left, although the tibia is a bit. A nice measurement to remember is that the tibia and calcaneus are as long as the femur (condyles to greater trochanter).

In general, as I said, I quite like the rendering of the legs as a whole, as well as the individual muscles in relation to their groups and the full leg, but spend a little longer measuring and making sure the proportions are accurate.

I’ll be checking in to see more of your great work!
    Iliya

Shazad Madon
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Iliya thanks very much for your comment. I felt throughout that the lower half in particular was too wide, but once I had laid in the muscle outlines inside it, I was too scared to go back in and change stuff, so I justified its not too much. A real pity really. I will keep these tips in mind in future.

Day 96

For the knee assignment I am referring to diagrams from the anatomy book my flatmate gave me as he doesn’t seem to want it!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.