Ramona’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Figure Drawing

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Ramona’s 100 Day Art Challenge: Figure Drawing

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Iliya MirochnikIliya Mirochnik
    Participant
    Instructor Badge
    No points.

Hi Ramona!

Really good job on these! Keep up the practicing. You can already see the improvement from the first image you posted. I thought I’d do a draw-over on the last one to point out some structural mistakes on torso.

Keep up the good work!

Jean-Pierre Fermet
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Ramona,

Congrats for your work! I like you dare experiment different mediums. I particulary like yout 1 mn pose on this on your may 3 sketch. I can see form and volume through your sketch, and I like the living flow of it.

Keep up the good work!

JP

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Ramona. I really like your diligence and how you’re working on a variety of things. Your gestures are looking nice and it’s awesome that you’re tackling perspective. I think you’ll be surprised how much you improve by the end of the challenge.

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello Iliya and thank you so much for the draw-over, that was unexpected! Really helpful, thank you so much! My drawing studies go in circles, so the torso will certainly reappear on my to do list, so this will be very handy!

Jean-Pierre, thank you for your kind words! I like to switch the medium from time to time, I think it makes the process more interesting.

Paul, thank you as well so much, much appreciated! I always wanted to deep dive into drawing and art, but never really got the motivation for it, because I thought maybe I just lack the skill and do not know where to start. But by this year, I started to look into more resources and also came across NMA, and this helped me a lot! This challenge is also a really good opportunity and was really a good start to develop a daily drawing habit.

Today is Portrait Friday! It started out really wonky and seemed like a “not so good” art day, but I used this opportunity to analyse my outcomes more closely. It’s actually nothing special that I discovered, but my little experiment from today really shows the importance of structure. I mean, I heard it several times in the instruction videos, but I guess learning by doing will have a different effect on my memory.

So, to explain it briefly, I started by simply drawing from the reference, but noticed that I just copied the image and it looked pretty bad. Therefore, I tried to redo it with a more structural approach, which in general looked better, but the proportions were still off and it had little resemblance with the reference. Lastly, I drew the same face from imagination and  – it looks pretty close to the first one, doesn’t it? I concluded that all these distortions were caused by my lack of knowledge of the skull. Accordingly, I did some live studies of a skull and in the last step redrew the picture without the original reference, but based on the angled skull. And voila, it looked more similar to the reference than the other attempts. I mean, this might also be caused by the fact that this was my fourth attempt, but I’m convinced now that knowing the underlying form really makes a difference.

Sorry for the long text, but this was my small epiphany of today :’D

Day 29

Day 29

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Lazy Saturday: just a few random studies of a skull.

Day 30 (already, wow!)

Day 30

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Day 30! Some tips on skulls: the cranium has corners. It’s boxy as well as egg-like. Try to find the plane changes. Don’t do the ocular orbits as holes. Try they as scaffolding of positive structures. Then if that’s working you can throw the socket into shadow

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Joshua for the advice! This makes totally sense and I will definitely take it into consideration when drawing my next skulls.

I had not too much time to draw today, so I did a quick Croquis Cafe session with inspiration from the art of Chris Glib. A few attempts turned out rather mediocre, but I liked the other few of those pretty much.

Day 31:

Day 31

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Gesture Monday and this week’s focus is on the torso in perspective. I tried to do some simplification exercises while maintaining the gesture and it has not really sunk in, but overall today was just a big warm up for the shapes tomorrow.

I also noticed that I really have no good control of my lines and I should definitely work on that.

Day 32:

Day 32

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Today I practiced my structural approach to the figure. It’s still rather awkward and I think I might have in general difficulties with my spatial sense, but on the other hand it will hopefully get better with more practice. I also reviewed the general landmarks of the torso (the ones in the middle were drawn without looking at the structure first) and had a few aha moments during my session.

Day 33:

Day 33

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Today is my basic day – so I tried to do some basic perspective stuff (and failed at a few attempts pretty badly as you can see). I also tried to do two torso poses from imagination with pastel chalk.

Day 34:

Day 34

Jean-Pierre Fermet
    Participant
    No points.

It’s nice to see you try different exercises and mediums, and very encouraging. Perspective should really help you. Chouette!

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Jean-Pierre for your encouraging words!

I think this week was a little bit out of focus and I spent most of my drawing time today with not drawing, but researching another learning method. Most of my pages are also filled with incoherent notes, so I can only present another attempt of the 3D torsos (similar to day 8) and one quick imagination torso,

Day 35:

Day 35

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Doing more fundamental things today, basic shapes + skull anatomy and one quick skull drawing from life.

Day 36:

Day 36

Ramona
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

I sometimes like to join live drawing sessions held on YouTube, mostly the ones hosted by Love Life Drawing. Here are some of the practice drawings based on last and this week’s session (disclaimer: the lower one on the right is based on the figure drawings made by Lane Brown, as it was a study of his shading/ design technique).

Does anyone have any suggestions for other live drawing sessions that are held recently?

Day 37:

Day 37

Jean-Pierre Fermet
    Participant
    No points.

You can go to Croquis Cafe on Vimeo, they provide nice drawing sessions witn live models. I like your “notes on shadows” on your last drawings. A bientôt!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.