Natacha’s 100 Day Challenge : Animal Drawings

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Natacha’s 100 Day Challenge : Animal Drawings

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Jean-Pierre Fermet
    Participant
    No points.

Bonjour Natacha, je vois quelques notes en français dans tes études, tu es francophone? Bravo pour cet engagement, les animaux sont un très beau sujet, et j’apprécie beaucoup ton travail.

Hi Natacha! Animals are a wonderful topic, and  I like your work a lot!

Bon courage, bonne continuation!

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Bonjour Jean-Pierre, oui je suis française ! Merci, après je me concentre uniquement sur les chevaux actuellement mais ensuite dans une semaine environ, je commencerai à travailler la figure. Je continuerai à dessiner 2h des animaux mais sans étudier profondément le sujet anatomiquement etc. J’essaye d’optimiser ces mois d’été avec autant de temps libre ! Je reviendrai certainement ensuite sur les animaux (parce qu’il faudrait même que je fasse tout ça avec les “félins” : ce qui comprendrait chats, lion, tigre, puis les “rongeurs” : hamster, cochon d’inde, écureuil, lapin, puis les animaux aquatiques, puis volants). En clair il me reste énormément à apprendre! Mais tant que je vois par où aller, comment apprendre, et les erreurs à corriger : ça va 🙂

(Je ne pense qu’on puisse écrire en français étant donné que le site est anglophone du coup je fais la traduction au cas où)

Hi Jean-Pierre, yes I’m French ! Thank you, I’m currently focus on horses but in a week or more I will begin to work on the figure. I will continue to draw 2h animals but without studying deeply the anatomy etc. I try to optimise my summer months where I got so many free time ! I will then certainly come back on this subject (because I would still have to do all the same work for the “felines” : cats, lion, tigers, then “rodent” : hamster, squirrel, rabbit, then aquatic animals then flying animals). So all in all I still have a lot to learn! But as long as I know where I have to go, how to learn and where are my mistakse : it’s okay 🙂
    (I don’t think we are authorized to speak in French since it’s an Anglophone site so I’m translating in case)

Carlise Azmitia
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Really enjoying your animals and progress, Natacha! I truly appre iate the inspiration!

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Natacha. Thanks again for your kind and helpful comments on my thread. I’ll start by saying I’ve not been browsing the challenge threads too much for the last couple of weeks as I was spending dad/daughter time after my daughter’s wisdom tooth experience. So I really appreciate the people that continued to post on my thread.

Next, the upside of this is that, as I start looking at the other participant’s threads, I can quickly see the progress made over the last couple of weeks. You have definitely made a lot of progress! Really impressive! Your horses look so natural and gestural. Near my house some people have about 7 or 8 horses and sometimes I’ll go over and try to sketch them from life. I’ve got to tell you so far my efforts truly stink! I find horses to be so challenging. Maybe it’s the huge mass of body on the thin spindly legs. I don’t know, but you certainly seem to have a handle on it.  We also frequently have deer walking through our yard. I enjoy sketching them and your drawing the other day is very nice.

I found a particular book to be very helpful in drawing animals, (the author has a similar one for drawing people), that’s been helping me to be looser and more gestural in my animal and human figure drawings. I’m posting a link below to the google search that has some pictures from it. You might find it helpful. I have.

In case the link doesn’t work it’s called “Force Animal Drawing” by Michael Mattesi

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=force+animal+drawing

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you very much Carlise, I’m glad I can be an inspiration to someone ! 🙂

Hi Paul, you’re welcome I really appreciate it. You don’t have to write one comment to get another, I don’t see it as an exchange accountability. And it’s also understandable that you have a life, kids should be a priority. I sincerely hope it’s getting better for her !

Sure, that’s a positive point. I’m glad you see it ! I feel it in my knowledges, a little bit in my drawings but I see the long way I still have to go so my mind doesn’t see a significant progress for the moment. But thank you, it’s always nice to hear (read) it!

That’s so cool ! I wish I could observe horses in real life but it’s impossible right now for me, so I catch myself as watching horse documentaries as a “break” to see the movements and recognize better the elements.. that’s not the same ! But drawing them in real life would be even more challenging that’s for sure, it’s another level of what I’m doing. A deer! So amazing, I only saw deers crossing on the roads. Thank you!

Thank you very much for this ressource, I checked it out and it seems very interesting ! I’ll spend more time on that book

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 11 – 01/06/2020

I started by drawings my horse’s heads. The results were better (I’m only at the 28/100), I took less time -since the head was less big- to draw the neck (applying what I learnt the day before).

Then I did a 8min sessions drawings in pencil : very very bad. I’m expecting too much from a single line and I tend to forget that it’s about the gesture : doing multiple lines to get the right. So I completely lost the sense of movements in these drawings and the proportions were off (page 1) so nothing good.
    After that I thought about drawing with a black pen and forcing consciouly myself to draw with round shapes (to keep the movement), still under 8 minutes. I didn’t expected to be like that, I was happier with them. Still not there, at first I did proportions errors once again but I focused on it for the others and it looks better.

I’m happy also with how I add the “shadows” with the pen on the neck and the face ; it doesn’t bother me so much anymore. I just see that I have to work on the legs but I’m planning to. I was even supposed to start today but I did 1/4 of the page so I let it for the day after.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Natacha. Again, nice horses! I find them so challenging! I’m learning about them, and getting motivated to draw them, from following your thread.

I didn’t mean to imply that writing comments was an exchange. I’m not much on social sites like Facebook or Instagram etc. I’m simply genuinely flattered when someone takes the time to comment on my thread and it makes me want to step out of my comfort zone a bit and respond or comment on their thread. I often post on threads where the people have never commented on mine. I find this NMA Challenge to be so helpful to me on so many fronts. I’m, as we’ve discussed, a perfectionist and also something of an introvert. This is all, I think, healthy for me!

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Natacha. You did these each in under 8 minutes 😮?!! That’s amazing! Your understanding of the forms looks to be quite solid. They’re beautiful and your proportions and volumes are very good! If I could make one small suggestion, the heads look a little too fine for the breed of horse you’re drawing. I owned horses for many years, so I hope I’m right 😆! It’s great that you’re putting so much work into your study – you’re going to be amazing at the end of 100 days 🙂!

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Paul, thank you 🙂 It’s sure they are. I’m happy I can be inspiring to someone !

Sure, I misunderstood my bad. I understand how it feels. Perfectionnist and introverted is the combo of the artist. I am like that and met artists like this as well definetely. I agree, NMA has a good supportive community. Everyone grows as an artist and helps each other, without the pressure of the “”competition”” feeling that can come from social medias sometimes -though it’s also an amazing tool to meet other artists and grow as well !

Hi Deborah, yes I try what Vilppu explains : first draw the gesture/feel the flow, so only drawing shape (I draw light lines with the pen) and then you define the elements and makes sure the proportions are correct and every match with one another. Thank you very much! You’re right, I felt like something was wrong with them but I couldn’t see it, now I can see it. I checked the proportions and you’re right! I will focus on the overall proportions more next time to not have that problem again. Thank you, I try to do my best! 😀

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 12 – 02/06/2020

It wasn’t a productive day

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 13 – 03/06/2020

Trying to think of everything : gesture, flow, action, proportions, elements forming the volume  (corners of bones, muscles). I don’t put a timer to not going fast about the gesture. Legs are too messy and I messed up proportions sometimes but it seem less off than what I did yesterday : so, great. I used a fountain pen instead of a pen, it less forgiving because I can’t do “light lines” with it but at the same time it’s a great tool to apply what I said. Drawing with fountain pen / pen changes my way of drawing : there’s a huge difference with the pencil drawings of some days ago. So I will continue to do it this way until my drawings have no more gesture/proportions/elements problems! Then, I think there will be a big difference when I’ll go back to pencil.

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 14 – 04/06/2020

I am doing an overdose of horses. I didn’t realised it has been  already two weeks. I kinda miss doing my illustrations and portraits. Anyways so today was a gesture day. I did 5-10 min every drawing but without a chrono. Tomorrow I will begin figure drawing course to do a break from animals. I will continue to draw them everyday, and learn about their basic elements in any case.
    So, I don’t think they look good but I think I’m better at this exercize than I was some days ago. At least some days ago I wasn’t able to use an ineffaceable pen since I was erasing a lot and doing the wrong lines.

PaulDidier
    Participant
    No points.

Hi Natacha. These are great! Really nice gestures throughout. Bunny’s, dog and cat even the flower. These feel so fresh and loose.

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you very much Paul for the encouragement !

05/06/2020

I won’t count this day in. I worked on figure drawing and forgot about animals, but that’s not the aim for this challenge so here is the only animal drawing I did a 1min horse head. I certainly should have put a more globale challenge but anyway !
    I was pretty happy with my “first” few figure drawings but it’s a challenge about animals and I have no excuse to do a 30min animal session.

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 15 – 06/06/2020

I feel like I understand better their volume and the proportions than I did 2 days ago with the pencil. I have a hard with “invisible ref hoof” which means I don’t understand them. I will pay better attention to that. The muscles part that I still can’t fully realise is the legs; I will try to work on it through digital picture tomorrow !

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.