Natacha’s 100 Day Challenge : Animal Drawings

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Natacha’s 100 Day Challenge : Animal Drawings

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Joshua!

Notes :
    This time I wait for the morning light to take the picture.
    So this is from yesterday. These are assignments from the lesson “Grazing animals”. Then I drew a deer during 1hour 30.  I’m glad with the result, it isn’t finish for the legs but I didn’t want to continue yesterday since it was late. I’m not going to finish neither that was just a test, seeing how after the lessons I could draw again a full animal. I realize I wasn’t so much dependent on the reference anymore. The movement is fluid, it’s way better. I feel like proportions are easier too now.

However the one thing I have to work on is what complete the basic structure : bones, muscles. I still have a hard time with this but I will study it. Today I have the horse lesson to do ; horse have a “thin” skin and their muscles/bones are very seeing through so it’s a great way to study this. An exercise that I could do also for this is to take a picture and draw on it only to see if I can recognize the muscles, bones, and not mistake them (because I should be able to do it then in my head, without tracing and without the anatomy book).

DAY 5 – 26/05/2020

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello, I’m sorry for all these posts. At least now I know how it works. I will post and then wait from now !

DAY 6 – 27/05/2020

I spent a lot of times study the horse anatomy today. I still didn’t finish the horse lesson. I realize I really had a hard times for the head and the legs areas. I focused before on the overall with all the elements so now I should pay attention to the head and the leg’s muscles (specially in different positions).

I did a session of 5min drawings and then I took more my time to do the 15min horse. I also did the same as for the last deer with another “more time” drawing. I could add the contrast and it’s there that I felt the lack of knowledges about the legs’s muscles movement and the head that really felt wrong (in the end it wasn’t that bad but still).

Galina RogachevskyGalina Rogachevsky
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Looking great Natacha🌹

I especially like how you did the rabbits😻

You seem to take the anatomy study very seriously and it surely shows on the results!

I wish now to take the course myself at some point

So many to choose from here🙈

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Galina ! 🙂 Yes, I’m trying to but anatomy is still so new that as much as I learn every day, I also feel a lot of frustration during the process. Nice, I can only recommand it to you, it’s my first one and I love it. It’s well explain and surely gives you a solid base to learn animals! But yes I know, so many, that’s why I tried to do a program for myself. It helps because otherwise I guess I would just be too excited and begin every courses at the same time (but in fact it’s better for me to take only one and focus, and move on etc)

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hello, I’m back to post the few days :

DAY 7  – 28/05/2020

I spent a lot of time on overall horse anatomy ressources, hence not much drawings. Then, I drew the horse and I felt that I still lack a lot of knowledges. At that point I decided to spend a few days only working on the horse, and specifically on the different elements (head, legs, etc) to really know every aspects.
    So I was unhappy after drawing that horse and just draw that way easier rabbit instead.

The only positive thing about being frustrated from a drawing is that you see the mistakes and you just have to work on them then I guess.

Debbie H
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Natacha,

I’ve been looking for your posts for the past few days but haven’t been able to find them. You’re doing amazingly well! Horses are difficult to draw – I think of them like figure drawing. Horses are one subject that I want to learn more than almost any other, but need to focus on one thing at a time! Have you done anatomy before? Because you seem to have a very solid understanding of it. Keep going – it’s wonderful!

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 8 – 29/05/2020

After yesterday, I plan to study different elements through the days. Here it was the head. Don’t mind the notes, it was just some things I wanted to keep in mind while drawing.
    I began a 100 horse’s head mini challenge. The head are done in 5-10mins. The 4th has been built but in general it’s just about really keep in mind that’s it’s a volume. You have to use proportions tools to put the elements and then think about bones/muscles structure for the rest.

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Deborah, yes I had few little problems with my thread so I couldn’t post but it’s back. I’m posting the last few days to be back on track !

Yes you’re right. I was happy that I could draw little animals (rabbits, cats, dogs) well only with the basic structure but for the horse it’s not possible. Since the horse is the goal animal and the most difficult for me to draw because of all the volumes and forms coming through; I really wanted to be able to draw it “well” after one day. It was obviously disillusionment ! That’s why now I really think of it like a figure drawing ; you work on overall gesture, then you study every elements (head, neck, back etc). So I will be doing the same now.

No I never really study anatomy before for the animals (just a little bit for humans) but I always loved drawing horses. I used references and drew what I was seeing simply ; so overall it was “good” looking (I try to put the contrast where it was on the reference pic and try pay attention to proportions) but I absolutely didn’t know why there was a shadow here. I couldn’t draw a horse without the reference. So “nice” looking but very bad understanding and I feel like it was showing. **(pic)
    The course gave me that basic structure to work on and now I try (at least for the moment with the horse) to add more of anatomy studies to complete it.

**Here are what I was drawing (it’s old from a year or two ago, my blending techniques changed too)

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 9 – 30/05/2020

I continued on the head drawings (from the last day : the three heads on the low part of the paper are from today).

Nothing much to say, just trying to be more in ease with it. Feel the volume, proportions, shapes more easily. I only like how the 9th and 10th turned out

Paula BPaula B
    Participant
    No points.

Love those horse studies, Natacha! 😀

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Paula, I really appreciate it ! 🙂

Lucas a.k.a Lucas a.k.a “Roams”
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

very nice drawings 😀 your horses are gonna be jumping off the pages by the end of this challenge!

elizabeth hone
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Great drawings Natacha.

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thank you Lucas! Haha true, I can’t wait to see how this is going in 90 days

Thank you Elizabeth 🙂

NatachaNatacha
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

DAY 10 – 31/05/2020

I’m going to start in parallel the “Composition for Visual Artists” by Bill Perkins. As I’m looking at people who inspires me, I can see how important the composition is and I really have no knowledges about it. All about the atmosphere, the elements you put around, foreground, background.

Anyways, I continue on the horse : the neck this time. The notes are just muscles list and the latin to understand their names rather than learning them by heart. I also write in the back about what volume we’re seeing because not all muscles are seeing through. At least for the volume ; trying to understand which one gives that shape.
    I also continue the head drawings (22/100, the last one was terrible) and I did one horse short illustration sort of, not finished but won’t be finish

In the end of the day I really feel like I don’t draw much. I’m going next day to be more productive.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.