Marjolein’s 100 Day Challenge: Sketchbook

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Marjolein’s 100 Day Challenge: Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 13; some landscape thumbnails..

Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 14; I wanted to do a bit of anatomy for a while now..

Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 15; I should probably retire crayons for these kind of things.

Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 16; These are from the Instructional sketchbook by Juliette Aristides. It had some examples of Vilppu’s box drawings. I didn’t know if I could show the reference with it.
    I have been feeling a bit frustrated with figure drawing lately. I have been drawing mostly by measuring, contours for a decade and I’m not sure if I can make the switch to drawing more from volumes. I think in the end it can be more enjoyable than constantly having to measure, copy. But the results I get with it now is a bit discouraging.
    Going to be drawing over volumes on top of references I think.

Christopher
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Marjolein,

I wouldn’t be to negative about it. These are just two completely different ways to see and approach art so no wonder you feel frustrated because of not being able to execute the new principles better thinking of everything you already learned. But think of inline skating and skateboarding or baking and cooking, even if two topics might be similar to each other doesn’t mean you won’t struggle with learning the other one.

I would suggest trying to focus more on the positive aspects. Right now you’re busy learning structure and construction so you feel uncomfortable but think of all the abilities you learned before. Your drawings look quite clean and accurate because you already got alot of mileage with your tools and therefore your results aren’t as bad as you think. A complete beginner would struggle with just executing the lines he or she want’s.

Additionally through your observational training I’m sure you are already ahead of alot of people if it’s about seeing accurately and thinking abstractly (shapes, angles).

Right now you might not see it but as soon as you try to put everything together you’ll see the benefits and how you can apply the knowledge of one approach to another.

I like what you are doing so just keep at it and I’m sure you’ll improve 👍👋

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Christopher.
    Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Thanks for the encouraging, positive words. Yeah, I have a tendency to focus on the negative, being too critical of myself. ☺️
    I suppose so. I always kinda had the fear of going into actual 3D space and screwing up, not being able to get it for some reason. Instead of a line/contour approach. Also when it came to working from imagination, postponing learning perspective, other constructive drawing methods. And my art, how I could express myself just got stuck at the same level. Constantly hitting a wall, because of it.
    Just got to be more oke with feeling uncomfortable etc.

Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 17; I probably should’ve used a bigger brush. 🤔

Leonardo CarpioLeonardo Carpio
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Estás progresando muy bien

Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 18; Just boxes..

Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 19; Was planning on doing more skulls from different perspectives today, but it took a bit longer than I thought.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

I was going to make a reply but Christopher basically said it perfectly.

I’ll just echo those sentiments: Keep going, and don’t worry if it feels like one step forward, two steps back. The skills you’ve built will manifest down the line but more importantly you’ll be a better artist if you keep it up.

Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Yeah, I’ll try not to. Thnx for the comment ☺️

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Marjolein!

Reading your post from day 16, I could identify myself with the same issues you described regarding drawing from volumes.
    I’m also used to drawing from contour and measuring, and now I’m trying to switch to drawing from volumes to be freer from only copying and be able to create things from imagination more easily.

I know it’s a real challenge, but I’m sure you can do it! You work so far is great, and I like the way you render form trough tone, keep it up!

Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

@Isabella Borges Glad to know I’m not the only one. 😊  Thanks, right back at ya haha. I haven’t seen your work yet, will check it out soon.

Day 20; A skull from my instructional sketchbook/figure drawing atelier. There are three skulls to draw and after this one I’m not sure if I want to do the others haha. I might only do the front and then I want to do more quicker and schematic skull sketches in the future.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Marjolein P.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Marjolein P.
    Marjolein P
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Day 21; Sick today, so I just did some easy exercises.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.