Kat’s 100 Heads Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Kat’s 100 Heads Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

This is really nice work that you have been doing.  We all tend to be too self critical. A little self criticism will push you along to improve, but you definitely should be ashamed to post something like your Day 7 post.  You should take a look at some of the horrible stuff I’ve posted!  Keep up the great work.

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you for the encouragement dear @GR

Thank you Erik. I did see the impressive mural you are doing though. I am not familiar with gouache and I wasn’t sure what I was doing, so it was a disappointment because I had something else in mind haha. It’s ok, I will give Vermeer another shot. I think that this is great place to post your honest daily progress. There is too much pressure to post beautiful works on Instagram, to show your best, so I wouldn’t be able to do a challenge like this on IG. I am happy that I can do it here )

Isabella Borges
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi Kat, you’ve been doing a great job on your drawings 😊

I agree with your comment about the pressure to post beautiful works on Instagram; it’s nice to have a safe place to grow and show the work on the not-so-pretty but crucial stages of drawing and learning. And yet your work here looks excellent; you have a good eye for proportions and rendering. I think you’ll be amazing by the end of the 100 days. Keep it up!

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you so much Isabella for your kind words of encouragement )

Day 10

Corrections and rendering on the drawing from the 3D model. Kat's 100 days Challenge Day 10

Petru
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, the measurement/atelier method is a very useful tool when drawing from life but no as good when drawing from photos – you should be careful not to copy the lens distortion, that’s not how things really are and not how we see them (unless your eye is extremely close to the subject’s nose, but even then the subject’s eyes are still equal; in the above drawing the right eye is larger then the left). Before getting into the detailed planes of the head, I would try to get a sense of the overall construction of the head, a more basic representation – Steve Huston has a great course on that.

I tried to correct the photo, the differences are subtle but hope it helps you to understand what I mean by lens distortion, also did a basic drawing with the mouse over it. Keep up the good work!

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Petru. I should have probably taken a simple construction approach in drawing the 3D model, but I wanted to look into planes in detail. It’s a good idea to stick to loose construction drawings. I am actually doing Steve Huston’s course. It’s really great!

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Day 11

This is the only drawing from today that I want to post, the others will stay behind the scenes.

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

I am not keeping up very well. I had a moment of lack of confidence yesterday, and I couldn’t draw anything good. I drew this pose 3 times. I think this one is the 4th. So very late last night I sketched this version, but there are problems with the structure again. I had a particularly difficult time with the eyes, and this must be because my structure is off, correcting it again today and rendering. I need fresh eyes to look at it. The reference for the drawing is from NMA image portfolios. I don’t think that I will have a lot of time to draw tomorrow, but I have a plan to practice on post it notes. That’s an idea taken from Chris Legaspi’s YouTube channel.

Day 12 Kat's 100 Days Challenge Day 12

Beth BarnardBeth Barnard
    Participant
    No badges. No points.

Hi, Kat,

I clicked on your above drawing and was then mesmerized by all of your drawings! I only hope that I can eventually draw as well as you could draw on Day 1 of the 100 Day Challenge by the time I reach the end of it (if I ever start the Challenge), but perhaps you have given me motivation to try the Challenge. We’ll see.

Keep up the good work!

Best,

Beth

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Dear Beth,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am so happy to hear that I have given you the motivation to start this challenge. I could not have imagined motivating someone to start a drawing challenge. Your words motivate me to keep going. What I want to say is that drawing is challenging, but you have to do it everyday, even when the result make you want to trash the paper. It’s the only way to grow. I put off drawing for two years. I could have started this challenge much, much earlier.

Please start and keep going!

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

I am going to try very hard not to skip another day. I used Muji recycled paper sketch pad today. The paper is very thin, but surprisingly erasing was not a problem.

Day 13

Kat's 100 Days Challenge Day 13

erikdenneserikdennes
    Participant
    No points.

Great drawing.  Keep up the good work!!!

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you Erik ))

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

I am terribly lazy today. This dude could not be saved, or maybe I just don’t want to struggle with this drawing anymore.

Day 14

KATS 100 Day Art Challenge Day 14

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Day 15

Scull WIP, tomorrow I will add shadows and halftones.Kat's 100 Day Challenge Day 15

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.