Kat’s 100 Heads Challenge

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Kat’s 100 Heads Challenge

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Hello,

I want to be more consistent. So I decided to do the 100 days challenge. I think that it is not going to be easy to keep up, but I see many people doing this challenge, which inspires me. My challenge is a head drawing a day, but it can be anatomy, planes, or features of the face. I don’t want to set the bar too high, so it can be a simple sketch in my sketchbook. For my challenge I decided to pick a subject that I am currently studying, and love. I am not sure that I could do a figure drawing challenge at this point, so heads it is.

Day 1 Piazzetta head copy in my sketchbook. Could have done a better job. Note to self – do a study of the full drawing on a bigger sheet of paper.Day 1 of 100 days challenge

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Day 2

Very difficult angle for me, and I don’t have the energy to finish the ear. Drawing from reference found on Pinterest. I sketched it out yesterday, and today I realized that I am just copying, moving the lines, measuring again, and it shows in the end. So tomorrow I am going back to studying constructive methods, doing simple constructive sketches, and learning instead of copying the reference. I really like the reference though, so I might redraw this head again in 3 months, to see how I would approach it then.

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Your commentary is spot on. Avoid copying. Do more constructive starts and worry less about finishes. For now just keeping up with your challenge daily is enough. I’ll check in once you really get cooking.

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Hello Joshua, Thank you! )  I did an online portrait course this summer. It was 90 percent based on observational drawing. Maybe it is good for people who know how to do constructional drawing, or want to draw that way for quick commissions, but I quickly realized that it’s not a path for me. I didn’t know that there were different methods to drawing. So I am trying to be in volumetric mode now. NMA is such an amazing resource. There is so much that I can learn.

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Day 3

Head sketches on A3 printer paper from today.  I decided that my challenge till the end of the week will be to draw planes and the scull from the 3D models.Kat's 100 Days Challenge Day 3

Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo
    Keymaster
    No badges. No points.

Nice work on your last post. With art, there’s no one way to approach it. The more constructive methods that we teach are not for everyone. They are more difficult and require much more knowledge of your subject matter but if you love the work of traditional drawing and you want the ability to more easily work from imagination I recommend them highly!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Joshua JacoboJoshua Jacobo.
    katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Thank you for your feedback corrections Joshua. They look very cool. That’s how I want to think when I’m drawing. My mom’s uncle was like that. He studied animation and he could brainstorm a character and draw it in action on the fly. It’s like showing a kid magic tricks. I don’t have a goal to be an illustrator or an animator, but I definitely want to study my subject to depict it realistically in an « effortless » way.

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Day 4

Sketchbook drawing.Kat's 100 Days Heads Challenge Day 4

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Day 5 Yesterday’s sketch with with additional shading this morning.

Kat's 100 Days Challenge Day 5

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Just a little note to myself. Using a lighter range of graphite pencils HB/2B, mostly HB is more comfortable for me. Lighter pencils leave room for adjustments. I can always make things darker with 3B/4B in the end.

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Day 6

Failed attempt at another impossible angle. Poor sheet of paper.

Kat's 100 Days Challenge Day 6

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Day 7

Didn’t have time to sit down today. It’s a late night gouache sketch. I wanted to try gouache for a long time, and I just got some paints. I don’t want to post this, but I will stay true to my challenge. Kat's 100 Days Challenge Day 7

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Day 8

I had a pretty bad headache yesterday. I tried drawing a sculpture because I was interested in the value relationships and transitions. There are quite a few things wrong with structure. The nose should be longer and the right eye is too high.Kat's 100 days challenge Day 8

katkat
    Participant
    No points.

Day 9

Today I started working on the planes from the 3D model. There are quite a few things that I want to correct before rendering, especially the lower portion of the face. I found that working from the 3D model is really helpful to understanding the head. I feel like this is what I should be doing in between drawing realistic portraits.Kat's 100 Days Challenge Day 9

GR
    Participant
    No points.

I’m really enjoying your head sketches. Keep going!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.