Gordan’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait and Figure structure

Discuss on Discord Register Free

home Forums Challenges & Activities 100 Day Art Challenge Gordan’s 100 Day Challenge: Portrait and Figure structure

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 24,25,26,27

I already tried to post this yesterday, but the post just vanished. Lets try again and hopefully the other post doesn’t resurface somehow and makes it a double.

I was out of town for a few days but managed to do some drawing every night. This is from my sketchbook with a primary focus on learned figure forms.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 28

As Glenn recommended I tried to analyze some old masters work and for the first time I also tried some work from imagination. It was actually fun and although these are just basic figures it felt very liberating! These are some timed poses, one figure from imagination and few studies of Rubens and Michelangelo.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 29

I had a real busy day and this is all I have to post for today. I need to keep things moving.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 30

I did some old masters studies: Michelangelo, Nicolas Poussin, Luca Cambiaso and Goya. I enjoyed it a lot especially clothed figures by Goya. This is the first time I did the clothed figures, maybe that was the reason, I am not sure. At this time I am trying not to spend too much time with finishing up detail or rendering. Trying to stay focused on structure. It is slowly but surely becoming easier to anticipate and read limbs turns and folds.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 31

More practice and trying to do some masterworks studies. It was fun trying to decode the forms and figure action, but still long ways from doing it well. I suppose it is better than 30 days ago and should be even better on day 60 or 90. At least I hope so.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 2.32

Another attempt to analyze forms relationships and figure action in DaVinci drawing. Not much to see, but it looked better before I added all the drapery and folds that is another area that I don’t know much about. Still it was an interesting analysis on a basic forms level.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 33

Another day of practice, old masters analysis. Weekends are as usually tough for time, but something always can be done.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 34

Today I got really frustrated to the point I felt I needed a punching bag to vent my frustration out. One of those days when you feel that you just can’t do anything right. I started with some timed poses gesture drawings, that is the page one, and that was just awful. Limbs were out of proportion or head was too big etc. At that point I decided to switch gears and move onto the next lecture and start learning proportions and basic anatomy. I must say it felt a lot better from that point on. Will see how it goes tomorrow, but it definitely builds up your confidence when you actually know what goes where and why instead of just winging it.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 35

Continuing with Glenn’s anatomy lectures. Wow, my God how complicated this stuff is. I followed along, but I completely lost him in the later part of the back drawing . There were so many intricate details and muscles that at some point it simply became overwhelming. It was like trying to add water to the glass that is already filled to the brim. Overall I still think this is very useful and If I memorize even half of it, for now, I will be way better off then just relaying on a guess work. I will go through the rest of his anatomy lectures and try to apply it in my daily figure drawing practice.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 36

1,2 and 5 minute poses.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 37

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 38

Felt very tired today. I did my usual dexterity exercises, daily life drawing session and then one figure drawing that did not turn out very good. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. I also started listening Glenns’s lecture on legs and that was overwhelming. I think I will have to watch it again.

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 39

It looks terrible I know, but that is my attempt for today. Some days it feels almost easy to draw the figure and then on the other day it feels like you have never seen it in your life! Funny how that works. I started this challenge with the intent to work on the head and figure and I am actually barely scraping together some not so good figure work. Ok, lets say I was just a bit ambitious. Essentially at this stage the figure drawing progress is very slow and it is known to become even painful. I am not sure if I am doing this right or not? It is my intuition that I am relying on to guide me what to do next and pretty much feels like I am hitting the wall at the moment. Then again I am wandering is this just the way it supposed to be? Growing pains? After I draw along with Glenn it feels so empowering, I actually feel I got it! That lasts maybe another day or two and then just fades away into not much to see. Looking how to change that. Does anyone has any pointers?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by GordanKnezic.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by GordanKnezic.
    GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 40

GordanKnezic
    Participant
    No points.

Day 41

Struggle continues. I had a busy day, but managed to do some of the work. As I said before, it seems the more I do it the worse I gets. It shall pass I am sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to use the forums. Sign Up for a free account or Sign In.